Popular Pages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I weigh cooked frozen shrimp?

How should I weigh cooked frozen shrimp?

I like to buy these big bags of already cooked frozen shrimp, you just defrost, peel and eat. It never occurred to me last round that you are supposed to weigh the food raw and I was probably eating the wrong amount. Is there still a way I can weigh the cooked shrimp? How does it compare to weighing it raw?

R/P/M
    R1/P3/hhcg
    Blog Entries
    I just thaw them out and weigh them and minus an half ounce or an ounce (14 to 28 grams) and there you go. I know meat loses about an ounce of weight when cooked.
    Shrimp has pretty low calories too which is why I like eating them at least every other day even if it is a little more than 100 grams. I make a bomb shrimp cocktail sauce that makes them feel more worthwhile.
    -Adriana

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    VLCD1 started 3/28/11 My ultimate weight goal is 150 pounds. Hope to take the last 20+ off the old fashioned way (hah, without hcg? We shall see)

R/P/M
    R3/P2/Pellets
    Blog Entries
    Adriana - can you share your cocktail sauce recipe? YUM!
    ==================
    Missy
    R3/P2
    Preload - 156.2
    Postload - 159.2
    Week 1 Loss -
    Preload (-4.4)
    Postload (-7.4)

R/P/M
    R1/P3/hhcg
    Blog Entries
    No problem! I use some canned tomato paste, of course making sure there is just tomato paste in the can. About 2 ounces is good. Add lemon juice, you can use your daily allotment or less, add some apple cider vinegar, pure horseradish and a little hot sauce if you like. I like to add some ground sea salt and pepper as well. I put the shrimp in there and let it sit overnight to marinate. You can also add some water if it's too thick for you. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish so I can let my nose get a good run!
    I made myself a batch of that sauce to keep it marinating in the fridge and add about 85 grams of the frozen shrimp when I run out the door in the morning if I need a quick lunch.

It's also super easy to take on the road with you if the shrimp is still frozen. I throw it in my back pack too when I'm out on the bike or yard sale hopping.
    -Adriana

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    VLCD1 started 3/28/11 My ultimate weight goal is 150 pounds. Hope to take the last 20+ off the old fashioned way (hah, without hcg? We shall see)

R/P/M
    R3/P2/Pellets
    Blog Entries
    Thank you - that sounds wonderful!!!!
    ==================
    Missy
    R3/P2
    Preload - 156.2
    Postload - 159.2
    Week 1 Loss -
    Preload (-4.4)
    Postload (-7.4)

R/P/M
    P2 Hhcg
    I also weigh mine thawed. I have been having them on my salads for a few wks now w/ no weight gains. I love grilled shrimp! YUMMY!!

~Adriana, thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try this!!!
    www.IHERB.com
    Use code #VIK724 for FIRST time customers will receive an instant $10 off orders totaling $40 or more, and $5 off orders totaling less than $40!!
    I love them! They sell hhcg, vitamins, stevia & gluten free products!! FAST & FREE Shipping for US orders over $20!!!!

R/P/M
    R1/ P2/hhcg spray
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly921 View Post
    I like to buy these big bags of already cooked frozen shrimp, you just defrost, peel and eat. It never occurred to me last round that you are supposed to weigh the food raw and I was probably eating the wrong amount. Is there still a way I can weigh the cooked shrimp? How does it compare to weighing it raw?
    I was wondering the same exact thing today! I filled up a good size bag of shrimp at Whole Foods yesterday, without realizing they still have the tails on them (they're already cleaned though)! After I got done measuring out, wrapping and freezing my beef and chicken this afternoon, it dawned on me that I have no idea how many shrimp equals 100 grams. As soon as I popped the 8th one on the scale, it went a few single grams over 100 (@ 106, I think), but 7 shrimp kept it around 95 grams. I don't want to thaw the entire bag, cause I'll need to refreeze.....do you think I'm safe using 8 shrimp with the tails? Silly question, I know...

I have a question about shrimp, but I guess this can apply to other foods.

Since shrimp is so low in CAL/weight why can't we have more than 100 grams? It's like finding the food where the ration of cal:wt is in your favor so that you could eat more to get full, but still be below or at the 500cal mark. In other words... you can eat Item A @ 100g/150cal or 200g/150cal. I'm just making up the weight per cal, but hopefully you get my point. If I want to eat a pound of shrimp that equates to 480cal then why can't I do just that?

SM

R/P/M
    P3 / GOAL!
    Blog Entries
    Adriana-thanks for the recipe! I just bought some fresh shrimp yesterday. I may add cilantro to your recipe. Can't wait til the time comes when I can add chopped avocado too
    Maria ~ GOAL!!!
    5'2 - Went from a Size 14/16 to a Size 4/6

R/P/M
    R1,P3
    I eat 9oz of frozen shrimp - that is 150 calories and 1.5grams of fat. When I first stared the diet an kept with the portions in P&I - I was only getting @350 calories a day. I was told on this forum to up my protien to get to 500 calories - so I see no reason from all I read not to eat 500 calories of shrimp if you want to. Worked fine for me
    Sarted loading on 7/9/2011 At 231.4
    Gained 4.2 loading
    R1P2 -30.6
    Stayed on p3 for 73 days - lost an additional 16.6 pounds
    Total w/ load gain lost - 47.2 W/o load gain 43.
    Staring loading 10/29/2011 at 188.4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast