Popular Pages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detection of Prion Protein (Mad Cow Disease) in Hcg

Blog Entries

Detection of Prion Protein (Mad Cow Disease) in Hcg

Detection of Prion Protein in Urine-Derived Injectable Fertility Products by a Targeted Proteomic Approach

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0017815

and in Google
    http://www.google.com/search?q=hcg+j...rlz=1I7GWYE_en

The HCG is supposed to be taken from human urine not cows?

Blog Entries
    A friend was thinking about doing another round, and asked her doctor, who warned her about Jakobs Disease possibly being a side effect of Hcg.
    Last edited by Sabina; June 28th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    The HCG is supposed to be taken from human urine not cows?

About Human Prion Diseases

http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/abouthpd.html

R/P/M
    R1, P2, SubQ
    That was an interesting article. I think I would be more worried if they had identified a case of transmission via these means.

R/P/M
    R2, P2, SubQ
    Blog Entries
    Ovidrel is the only hcg made in this form from what I could find on medical websites. There are other fertility drugs that use this process as well. This would be a concern for sure if this were widespread in hcg. I did research on prion diseases about 10 years ago and they take a long time to show up after infection and are not pretty.

R3
    6/27/11 R3P2D1 vlcd 180.2 (after 6 day load: yikes!)
    D2 177.2 -3
    D3 176 -1.2
    D4 174.8 -1.2
    D5 175 +.2

R2
    4/23/11 R2P2D1 vlcd 184.4
    (short hcg round- 1 week then no hcg and high fat/mod protein)
    5/30 start of wk 4 maintenance 172.5
    end of maintenance 172 -12.4

R1
    1/5/11 D1 221.8 -38lbs (66 days)

Blog Entries
    I did research on prion diseases about 10 years ago and they take a long time to show up after infection and are not pretty.

I read that symptoms usually start in the 60's and people die within a year. No cure for Jakobs Disease.

Blog Entries
    That was an interesting article. I think I would be more worried if they had identified a case of transmission via these means.

True, but they have found prions in fertility drugs. With the increase of people using Hcg for weight loss, since it's the new diet trend, I would think that the risks of getting some kind of infectious disease is definitely higher. Forget about Mad Cow disease; how many other infectious diseases can be spread through urine?

After reading the research abstract, I also found thru the internet that the only recombinant product available is ovidrel.

And then when I brought up the complete study on pdf. (go to link-and look in upper right hand corner for full pdf)

it tells you who funded the research and it is Merck Serona , the manufacturor of Ovidrel.

It doesn't negate the findings but I wonder what the true statistical chances are that the disease would be transmitted in this manner. There has been no cases attributed to the use of hCG according to researchers but they say "epidemiological signal for transmission may be difficult to detect".

As the article states 300,000 women in US take hCG for fertility issues EVERY YEAR.
    Imagine what it is world wide, and then add all the other labeled usages not even counting weight loss and use by body builders, etc. Plus there are other urine derived drugs on the market.

As of now, there would be millions of people who potentially , according to this study, have been exposed to prions that cause CJ Disease thru their use of hCG.

I read somewhere that women have been taking hCG for fertility for 25 years.
    C.-Jacobs Disease takes up to a decade and longer to develop --you would think additional cases would be showing up now?

England had its big Mad Cow Disease problem in 1986 from tainted beef
    but I believe North America has had a total of 5 cases (and some of those people traveled to England.) But this study is saying that pregnant women who may have latent CJD could have donated their urine to be included in the manufacture of hCG and that would explain the protein prions in hCG..

At any rate studies like this will scare everyone--I guess given a choice I would prefer the recombinant type if you just look at it as a precautionary measure. What a run on ovidrel this will create!

I hope other manufacturors of regular hCG chime in with their own statistics and predictions.

(((((One final thing, I 'thought' ovidac was synthetically produced --I know it is not a recombinant hcg but I wonder if it would have the prions if it is synthetically manufactured in a lab. Something to find out.))))) Edit-- I just tried to google for this information--can't find anything. My memory may be faulty--I don't know where I thought I saw this. I checked on the usual online purchasing sources (which is where I would have read it) and come up blank.
    Last edited by roysmom; June 29th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Advanced Tweaker
    May 1 (after 3 loading days) 232#
    R 1 (39 injections + 3 VLCDs) 203.4# LOST 28.6 #
    Goal 160 #

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that women have been taking hCG for fertility for 25 years.
    C.-Jacobs Disease takes up to a decade and longer to develop --you would think additional cases would be showing up now?

I have to wonder what is the percentage of 25 years of HCG fertility use is compared to the percentage of Hcg used for weight loss today? The article also said that some fertility Hcg is lab created.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast