Popular Pages

Thread: Is it safe for heart patient to do HCG diet?

R/P/M
    R4, P2, HHCG

Is it safe for heart patient to do HCG diet?

Hello, I posted a similar question on side effects board, but wanted to ask here too about heart patients in general.

My husband has had a stent for 2 years and he really needs to loose 40 pounds (me 30 pounds) and we are starting the diet next week.

My doctor is supervising us both, and his doctor actually did the diet herself under the supervision of my doctor. My doctor's husband also did the diet and we saw him and didn't recognize him. We are sold on the effectiveness...BUT there is that concern in the back of my mind.

Has anyone else with a stent done this diet?

Have any heart patients done the diet and if so, did you take potassium?

Have any of you heard about arterial blood clots being caused by the diet? I read something on a women's health website yesterday, but there was no source and there was a bariatric surgery ad scrolling on the top of the page.

I really appreciate any and all responses to any of the above questions!

I'm not a heart patient, so I can't help you there. I do take potassium supplement, along with calcium, B-12 and a multivitamin a couple times a week. I've been doing this not quite 3 weeks and I feel pretty good, sleep well, no joint pain, no headaches... which is amazing for me. Good luck!

R/P/M
    P4 of R8, subq injections
    i have never heard anything about it causing blood clots, and i've been reading about hcg for 2 years now. of course there are always a few people who end up with weird side effects with any drug. if he's being monitored closely by his doctor i really wouldn't be too concerned about it. the positive side effects of losing the weight outweigh the risks of taking the drug, imo.
    Buying Hcg: http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f19/buying-hcg-where-do-i-start-39144/

R/P/M
    R4, P2, HHCG
    Thanks so much for the reply and reassurance. On another thread someone suggested that he get regular blood tests for clotting factors, hemoglobin, and potassium. Also since he is on Plavix she suggested that he is protected from blood clots more than the general public.

Here is the link to that website. http://www.empowher.com/weight-loss/...angerous-heart
    Yesterday it had bariatric surgery ads on it, but they aren't there today. I also noticed the author is a PA. My doctor and my husband's doctor are both Osteopaths and they are sometimes more willing to look at alternative medicine. I'm thinking this author was prejudiced against the diet from the beginning, however I do want to look at all sides to make the best decisions.

I think we will have the regular blood tests that were suggested to keep my mind at ease if for no other reason. LOL

R/P/M
    R4, P3, Paleo/Primal eating with Leptin reset timing for life
    Blog Entries
    Dr. Simeon's original manuscript, Pounds and Inches states about "complicating disorders:"
    Some complicating disorders are often associated with obesity, and these we must briefly discuss. The most important associated disorders and the ones in which obesity seems to play a precipitating or at least an aggravating role are the following: the stable type of diabetes, gout, rheumatism and arthritis, high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries, coronary disease and cerebral hemorrhage. Apart from the fact that they are often - though not necessarily - associated with obesity, these disorders have two things in common. In all of them, modern research is becoming more and more inclined to believe that diencephalic regulations play a dominant role in their causation. The other common factor is that they either improve or do not occur during pregnancy. In the latter respect they are joined by many other disorders not necessarily associated with obesity. Such disorders are, for instance, colitis, duodenal or gastric ulcers, certain allergies, psoriasis, loss of hair, brittle fingernails, migraine, etc.
    If HCG + diet does in the obese bring about those diencephalic changes which are characteristic of pregnancy, one would expect to see an improvement in all these conditions comparable to that seen in real pregnancy. The administration of HCG does in fact do this in a remarkable way.
    ......Cholesterol
    The exact extent to which the blood cholesterol is involved in hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure and coronary disease is not as yet known, but it is now widely admitted that the blood cholesterol level is governed by diencephalic mechanisms. The behavior of circulating cholesterol is therefore of particular interest during the treatment of obesity with HCG. Cholesterol circulates in two forms, which we call free and esterified. Normally these fractions are present in a proportion of about 25% free to 75% esterified cholesterol, and it is the latter fraction which damages the walls of the arteries. In pregnancy this proportion is reversed and it may he taken for granted that arteriosclerosis never gets worse during pregnancy for this very reason.To my knowledge, the only other condition in which the proportion of free to esterified cholesterol is reversed is during the treatment of obesity with HCG + diet, when exactly the same phenomenon takes place. This seems an important indication of how closely a patient under HCG treatment resembles a pregnant woman in diencephalic behavior.
    When the total amount of circulating cholesterol is normal before treatment, this absolute amount is neither significantly increased nor decreased. But when an obese patient with an abnormally high cholesterol and already showing signs of arteriosclerosis is treated with HCG, his blood pressure drops and his coronary circulation seems to improve, and yet his total blood cholesterol may soar to heights never before reached. At first this greatly alarmed us. But then we saw that the patients came to no harm even if treatment was continued and we found in follow-up examinations undertaken some months after treatment that the cholesterol was much better than it had been before treatment. As the increase is mostly in the form of the not dangerous free cholesterol, we gradually came to welcome the phenomenon. Today we believe that the rise is entirely due to the liberation of recent cholesterol deposits that have not yet undergone calcification in the arterial wall and therefore highly beneficial.

I think he was talking about the reversal in % of what we call "good cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol." So, the diet should greatly help a heart patient ... which is probably why hubby's doctor prescribed it. Good luck to you both! .... Pounds and Inches can be found on a separate forum thread here at this web site. It's good reading for anyone skeptical.

p.s. Yes, I agree that osteopaths are more likely to look into and prescribe alternative treatments. This one is often maligned by the medical community who won't look into it because there are so few "double blind" studies done on it. It "only" has thousands of "anecdotal" successes since the 1950's when Dr. Simeon developed the original protocol. Not as much money in this protocol as is in bariatric surgery ... OR HEART surgery, for that matter. Again, good luck to you both!
    Last edited by Kaleein; December 26th, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: p.s.
    From 376, lost some over 3 years ... Started HCG October 31, 2010 - Sept 30, 2011, - 53 lb with 4 rounds HCG protocol.
    Maintained w/ Paleo April 22 - June 1, when I started losing. Lost an additional 20 lb with Paleo eating between rounds.
    Back to Paleo 10-1-2011 @ 278
    100 lb GONE 10-13-2011
    Kathy

Left this forum permanently 10/29/2011.

See: www.jackkruse.com, www.marksdailyapple.com
    Stop the government from making supplements PRESCRIPTION ONLY http://www.anh-usa.org/

R/P/M
    R4, P2, HHCG
    Good stuff Kaleein! I'm going to show this to him...he's an RN and will probably understand it better than I did, but it did actually make a lot of sense to me! Thanks!!