Popular Pages

Thread: BRCA2+ while doing the HCG diet?

BRCA2+ while doing the HCG diet?

Hi, I am new to this board! I am brca2 +. Recently, I had my ovaries and tubes removed for ovarian cancer protection because I am at such a high risk. This means that I am now in menopause at the age of 41. Losing weight has seemed very difficult lately because of this. I am considering doing the HCG diet (the injections) and I have an appt in a few weeks with a doctor at her center.

I am wondering what she will say about me being brca2 + and if i will be able to do the diet at all. I have never had cancer and being brca2 does not mean I will get cancer, I am just at a higher risk for certain cancers. Thoughts?
    Last edited by kvc213; August 29th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Does this put you at risk for breast cancer too? Just FYI, some oncologists have told their patients that hcg actually helps protect against breast cancer. But with your ovaries gone, hcg shouldn't affect that part at all.

Yes, It does put me at an increased risk of breast cancer but since I had my ovaries removed, my risk has actually gone down since I no longer produce estrogen. I am wondering if they will let me dod the diet

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    I wouldn't think it would harm you, but hopefully you can talk to a doctor who totally understands how hcg works. It really is a miracle for losing weight. I couldn't lose any other way and have spent most of my life overweight (I'm 60.) I've lost 75 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years now.

R/P/M
    R4 P2 hHCG
    Quote Originally Posted by kvc213 View Post
    Hi, I am new to this board! I am brca2 +. Recently, I had my ovaries and tubes removed for ovarian cancer protection because I am at such a high risk. This means that I am now in menopause at the age of 41. Losing weight has seemed very difficult lately because of this. I am considering doing the HCG diet (the injections) and I have an appt in a few weeks with a doctor at her center.

I am wondering what she will say about me being brca2 + and if i will be able to do the diet at all. I have never had cancer and being brca2 does not mean I will get cancer, I am just at a higher risk for certain cancers. Thoughts?
    I would be sure to take bio-identical hormones.

Did you say you do not produce estrogen anymore? I'm thinking you would still be producing estrogen from your fat, wouldn't you?
    I am using EFT (aka "tapping") to break my emotional food addiction. EFT is generally a "one time" treatment. Here is a link the EFT article on Dr Mercola's website, which gives guidelines for EFT. Scroll past the video, then read.

http://eft.mercola.com/

Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group

LynneR- That makes sense that I am producing it from my fat. You are probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by kvc213 View Post

Hi there -

I am an ovarian cancer survivor (I was diagnosed with a rare form called "Small Cell" when I was 21...had chemo, radiation and hysterectomy) and am on the HCG diet (injections). As you mentioned, menopause is a NIGHTMARE (I have been menopausal now for 22 years and am now 43). Anyway, I am being followed by a Dr. (I didn't check with my oncologist but didnt feel I needed to) and have been doing well...I swear, I thought I was done and that I would ALWAYS be HUGE and not able to lose weight due to all of the health issues I have had since my early 20's PLUS being menopausal....but, I HAVE successfully lost 33 pounds on my 1st round of phase 2 and am currently into my 2nd round of phase 2 (I DID successfully maintain my last injection weight for 6 weeks without a single correction day! ) - I truly didn't think any of this was possible...I really thought I would be huge and there was nothing I could do as NONE of the other diets out there worked for me (and I am telling you I tried many!!). Anyway, just wanted you to know that I too am menopausal (due to removal of ovaries, etc.), at a higher risk to get other cancers and am doing better than I had hoped.

If you DO start HCG, good luck to you!

-TryingToGetToThin

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Hi kvc, I answered this on the question thread...you really need to get your physicians approval to do this protocol. We really don't have all the answers about what hormone can cause your cancer genes to express themselves. I know we don't use much of the hcg hormone for this diet....but you will have a ton of circulating estrogen as you are losing fat....and the addition of hcg to the estrogen could possibly be a problem....who knows? If I had the gene, I wouldnt do this diet. Please please please talk to all your medical professionals.
    I'm a moderator. Feel free to private message me if you have issues with the forum.