Popular Pages

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Oz's 8-17-12 show on Gastric bypass

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections

Dr Oz's 8-17-12 show on Gastric bypass

Hi guys. I tend to watch what Dr Oz promotes on his shows, because he tends to really influence the public and media opinions on health and diet. His show on 8-17 was on gastric bypass, and specifically the health benefits beyond just losing weight. The show's title caught my attention, because gastric bypass has several non healthy effects on the body, as we have discussed on the threads here. The vitamin and mineral deprivation is very hard on the body, and requires strict supplementation for the rest of the patients life. As a result of these life altering gut changes, Dr Oz reports that less than 1 % of the patients eligible for the procedure actually have it done.

New research and anticdotal results of the bariatric surgeons interviewed now show this procedure might actually cure type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. They are not sure how this is happening physiologically, but patients are being discharged from the hospital free of the prescriptions they entered the hospital with, so the effects are immediate, however, only time will tell if they are permanent. The statistics given on the show are 70 to 80 percent go home on no diabetes or blood pressure medications.

Dr Simmeons wrote about how the Hcg protocol initially would improve high blood pressure and sometimes diabetes, but that most had to return to their medications after p2 was complete.

I am posting this thread for a couple of reasons. I think it's important for us to monitor what the press is promoting for our so called health. I understand and agree that type two diabetes is out of control in the US. But forever altering your gut to maybe possibly cure it seems a bit radical and dangerous without more research, in my opinion. Currently the procedure is only recommended for those who are 100 lbs or more overweight....but the program and the doctors on it were suggesting that the procedure now be considered for folks much less over weight, but who had diabetes or high blood pressure, because it might "cure" these two nasty diseases.

My second reason for posting this is I think we are all going to be hearing about this from our doctors soon. Encourgaging the quick fix, if you will. I want everyone to really ask questions and do your own research if this happens to you personally. This is a permanent alteration in your digestive process, and should be taken very seriously by you and your doctor.

Any discussion is always welcome!
    I'm a moderator. Feel free to private message me if you have issues with the forum.

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Dr Kruse says it cuts the vagus nerve but the body rewires it all later in the brain which is why people regain after gastric surgery. It's a very bad idea!

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the weight loss part of it....but they are now saying it has hormonal effects, which are resulting in the diabetes and high blood pressure "cures". Oz was a bit vague on what the hormonal affects were, but by keeping food from interacting with gastric juices produced in the excluded part of the stomach, somehow they achieved these results. Makes me think that taking a proton pump inhibitor like Zantac should do the same thing....but I'll be interested to read the actual research, if it ever comes out on this.
    I'm a moderator. Feel free to private message me if you have issues with the forum.

R/P/M
    R4/P4/SL
    Good Morning Ladies, and I am glad you posted this thread. I have considered bariatric surgery for at least 10 years. Couldn't afford the time away from work and my husband was so skeptical, but I remember that at that time the relationship with diabetes was immediate. As a nurse, I have over the years observed many, many patients in our psych unit who have had the procedure and regained much if not all their weight lost. I had written off the value of this surgery until I saw the show. While I have had good results with the HCG, I back-slid when my mom died and regained 20 lbs (from the 60 lost). I am back to finish the course. But now I am having second thoughts about the surgery. While I was gaining these past six months, I did not check my blood sugars. I felt terrible all the time, but just thought it was grief. Since starting Round 4, I have taken my blood sugar three or four times and it has never been below 100. Yesterday it was 124 and today it was 130, both fasting in the AM. In the past I have failed a glucose tolerance test, but still my HGBA1c has remained under 6.5 and very good after Round three, so no treatment was advised. I have a history of type 2 diabetes in my family that until this generation was always controlled by weight loss and exercise. Now I am wondering if even the VLCD is not enough to keep my sugars down and I should go ahead and do the surgery or get on medication. I had no problems during the last rounds. Does it take a while for the blood sugars to respond to even 500 cals? How long do you suggest I wait before making an appointment with the MD for another lab test? My husband is changing jobs and I will have no insurance after September 1st. If newly diagnosed with diabetes I may not be able to get coverage. I don't want to be decietful, but I need to wait three months to get the result from the last HCG diet-influenced labs, right? I have lost 9 lbs in five days after loading. Absolutely no starches or sugar, strictly protocol, except that yesterday when my husband and I took a walk I impulsively ate about 5 wild grapes that we discovered. Thanks for your advise.
    Last edited by Moonbeam; August 19th, 2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: clarification
    April 2011 268, BMI=49
    R1 (6/11) Lost 22 lbs (260.8 - 238.8 lbs)
    R2 (8/11) Lost 16.6 (238.8 - 222.2 lbs)
    R3 (1/12) Lost 19.9 lbs (228.2 - 208.4)
    R4 (8/12) Lost 26.4 lbs (233.6 - 207.2)
    R4 P3 Av 208.3
    R4 P4 Wk 1-6 average: 209.5, Wk 7-10 average 211.5
    No weights recorded Wks 11-15

R/P/M
    R2P2 injection

AW: Dr Oz's 8-17-12 show on Gastric bypass

The research is there. At least it's being presented in scientific conferences. Somehow gastric bypass influences several hormones connected to the metabolic syndrome (obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, hyperlipidaemia) like leptin, pyy & a couple of others I don't remember. It normalized their levels which r off in obese patients, even before any weight loss occurred. But the last time I heard a talk abt it there were no long term data & none seemed to really know why that happened.
    As for the surgery, I wouldn't consider it. Losing weight by itself is the most effective treatment known for both diabetes and hypertension. If ur HBA1c is high you might consider taking an insulin sensitizer or metformin, but u ll need close monitoring for ur dose as u lose weight.
    U can also try a natural insulin sensitizer like cinnamon, if ur values r not too high. 1/2 tsp 2-3 x daily shld really help. But it takes ca. 4 weeks to show.
    But u shld definitely get HBA1c measured. Fasting blood glucose is too unreliable, especially under stress.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Desire mit Tapatalk 2
    17.06.12 70.7 kg
    19.06.12 74.5 kg
    20.06.12 71.5 kg
    27.06.12 68.7 kg
    04.07.12 68.4 kg
    07.07.12 67.3 kg
    10.07.12 66.5 kg
    11.07.12 67.2 kg
    14.07.12 67.6 kg
    17.07.12 67.2 kg
    18.07.12 66.2 kg (Finally!l)
    23.07.12 65.4 kg (LIW)

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMhWFWA/

R/P/M
    R4/P4/SL
    Thank you for your thoughts. I am interested in the research on long term success of bariatric surgery as well as the metabolic syndrome/diabetes connection. I don't expect to find it here, but there has been enough time since the surgery started to do retrospective surveys on them. If the surgery is driven by pop media or surgeons, it will not be valid in my opinion. Congratulations on your success! May it always be so!
    April 2011 268, BMI=49
    R1 (6/11) Lost 22 lbs (260.8 - 238.8 lbs)
    R2 (8/11) Lost 16.6 (238.8 - 222.2 lbs)
    R3 (1/12) Lost 19.9 lbs (228.2 - 208.4)
    R4 (8/12) Lost 26.4 lbs (233.6 - 207.2)
    R4 P3 Av 208.3
    R4 P4 Wk 1-6 average: 209.5, Wk 7-10 average 211.5
    No weights recorded Wks 11-15

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Moonbeam, I lost my mom last December, and regained some weight, and had issues with all my hormones, including insulin. I am not diabetic, but I think I am insulin resistant and have been all my life. I had fertility problems in my 20s and 30s, before they knew or cared about insulin resistance.

As for your labs and impending change in insurance....your new carrier will know exactly where you stand from your records to date..and at the most, you will need metformin, which is dirt cheap now. I would wait to have the tests until after the change....no need to muddy waters now, and you are not being deceitful at all. A snapshot so soon after a major loss as you have had will not be reliable anyhow.

I knew about the reports of high blood pressure and diabetes improvement, but was waiting for long term studies as well. And now they seem to be promoting the surgery just for those improvements....maybe because so many folks actually gain the weight back. I've taken care of folks who have had the surgery more than once, and it failed again in terms of weight loss. I'm wondering if it fails in weight loss, will the hormone benefits also fail? These are things we need to know before altering the digestion as radically as this procedure does. And, if it stops the hormones That cause these disease processes, does it also stop other hormones which are beneficial to us? And what are the consequences of that occuring?

Moonbeam, when you took care of these patients, did you notice the peculiar odor they always had? I've always wondered about that too. It might be hormonally driven...it affects their sweat, urine, feces and breath. No one has been able to explain it....but it's always there.

R/P/M
    R2/P4/hhcg
    Doesn't the majority regain the weight? Then what?

It doesn't actually fix anything, imo. I think with less food intake and more conscious choices which generally are made initially for a while after the procedure, it would only be normal that insulin and bp issues are resolved. I am thinking this is only temporary for most people. Maintaining weight loss is not easy unless we change our chemistry and metabolism.

Round 1 ended 3/25 30
    Round 2 ended 6/27 26
    LDW 185.8

8/17 started high fat/adequate protein/low carb diet (nutritional ketosis):
    Starting weight: 185.4
    11/19 168.6

R/P/M
    R4 P2 hHCG
    I agree that the surgery would regulate BP and diabetes temporarily, while these folks are on pink slime or eating tiny little portions of food. My sister in law had the lap-band surgery about 4 years ago, and she can only eat 3 oz of food at a time. She still cannot eat bread, because it doesn't go down right. When the band gets lose, she has to go back to have it tightened, because she says if it is lose she will go back to eating like she did before, and regain all her weight. Whenever the band gets lose, she does go back to eating more. I think it is nuts to eat so little, and so little nutritionally. My mother tried to push me towards the lap band, and my brother thinks hcg will not work. (My mother is now totally proud and thrilled to see the weight starting to come off.) I am seeing for myself, however, that hcg has regulated my appetite and diminished the cravings very effectively. I may have only lost 33 lbs (round 1), and have another 100 lbs to lose, but sitting here in P4, at about the same weight where I finished P2, I feel very much in control of my eating now, and I know it is only a matter of time before I reach my goal. This is the benefit of hcg.
    I am using EFT (aka "tapping") to break my emotional food addiction. EFT is generally a "one time" treatment. Here is a link the EFT article on Dr Mercola's website, which gives guidelines for EFT. Scroll past the video, then read.

http://eft.mercola.com/

Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Dr. Kruse says the long term effects of gastric surgery are catastrophic. What difference does it make if it DID fix a blood sugar problem but you gained weight and couldn't lose it then and had all the other inflammatory problems caused by obesity? Better to fix your diet. Metformin is a much better option.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast