Popular Pages

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post hcg/health issue questions here

Great thread. Very informative.

I was wondering how much grapefruit you would have to eat for it to interfere with anti-depressants? I'm taking 40mg of citalopram/day. I know that grapefruit can render many meds impotent and should be avoided, but I love to have juice of half a grapefruit mixed with sparkling water as a "cocktail" now and then. Most of the serious issues that I've heard of involve people drinking several glasses a day before it becomes an issue. Any thoughts?

R/P/M
    R2P2Rx
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvKats View Post
    Arrrg! Dang iPad keyboard...I meant good long rest, not food long rest.....lol! Milk is not recommended for ulcers or gastritis anymore...it is actually pretty acidic and the sugar isn't good for an irritated stomach either. Long ago, it was recommended, but no more. You can google ulcer diets to get more up to date info....But generally, no alcohol, no caffeine, limited spices, no citrus, limited roughage....you get the idea. Your moms heart condition sounds like atrial fib...which periodically may require cardio version, the procedure you described her having....and folks take coumadin to keep from forming clots that can embolize to the brain. But I'm not aware of a-fib being considered congenital....hmmmm. Does your doctor know about your moms cardiac issues?
    LOL, I'm afraid as a non-native speaker of English I don't master the art of free interpretation very well plus, if it's early in the morning my brain works far slower, otherwise I would've understood!

Thanks for the tip on ulcer diet, I'll have a look. As for my mother's condition, I suppose I'll have to get in touch with my step-siblings and ask them what exactly she had. All I remember was that she had to take Warfarin which is - as I'm reading right now on drugs.com - an anti-clotting medication. Nope, haven't brought it up at the doctor's yet. There are so many things I haven't been able to talk about, there's not much time left in a 10-minute appointment. TBH, look at all my conditions that ARE known to the doctor: bulimia, PCOS, hypothyroidism and what's being done about that ... the eating disorder's been in my file for almost as long as I've been in the UK, at least 12 years, yet, I'm not getting any treatment for it.

OTOH, if I were anorexic and refused to participate in socially accepted gluttonous behavior, they had me in the hospital force-feeding me through a tube right away. BTW, are there any tests, other than checking electrolytes, that can test for long-term damage from bulimia? Plus, as I was conveniently psychiatrically assessed with a sudden onset of personality -, and adjustment (to what?) disorder 8 years ago without checking for biochemical/hormonal imbalances, I think rather then listen to my concerns, it'll be shrugged off as my being a nutcase seeking attention.

On another note, the diarrhea I mentioned in my post on 7th Aug isn't going away. I had been taking pre- and probiotics a few days before it started, I thought they might be causing it so I stopped taking them the following day (8th) but it hasn't made any difference.
    F | 48 | 5'5'' | 166.6 lb
    R5P2L1-L2 3/31-4/1/2014
    WK1 160.6 (-6.0) | WK2 156.4 (-4.2)
    WK3 154.2 (-2.2) | WK4 151.0 (-3.2)
    WK5 147.8 (-3.2) | LIW 145.4 (-2.4)

R/P/M
    Round 1, phase 2, injections
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonica View Post
    Thanks! The best thing my doc can do is not to muddle and make me feel worse, anyway, I won't let that happen. The only reason I let it get that far with the previous doc was that I thought he had the absolute power over my medication and hence my state of health. Thank god that's no longer the case!

And sadly, the textbooks seem to lag totally behind. I've been reading tons of thyroid-related books and you would have thought they were relatively new so that's why this knowledge hasn't gone mainstream yet, but no, one of the books is from 1999, clearly outlining how low thyroid function that isn't treated will affect the entire hormonal system, leading to estrogen dominance, and adrenal exhaustion, among many other things. Hell, even a book about leptin from 2005 states various studies that demonstrated that leptin resistance directly causes low thyroid function. None of this is taught in medical schools. I bet my doc doesn't even know what leptin is, and that was discovered in 1995.
    You are absolutely right I never heard of Leptin until I came on here. It is not taught in school. They still teach the low fat diet!

Up or down??? She chose doooowwwnnnn! Too late now...(from my all time favorite movie, Labyrinth.)

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Hi miss Edith! Actually, even a small amount of grapefruit juice, like one class can interact with alot of meds, but I'm not sure if citalopram is one of them. You need to ask your doctor. And actually, grape fruit juice doesn't make the drug inactive....it actually allows too much to enter your system, causing sometimes toxic levels. That could be serious with citalopram, since it can have alot of cardiac effects like prolonged QT interval. Some research has shown that the effects of one glass of grapefruit juice on meds lasts for as long as 24 hours. It does this by diaabling an enzyme in the gut that normally renders part of your prescription inert....so your dosing is based on the assumption that this enzyme is active and will do its job. If its not active, you get too much of your prescription drug into your system. Since 40 mg go citalopram is the max dose, you don't want to be absorbing more than that! I hope this helps explain it a bit...if I were you, I would skip the grapefruit juice just to be safe...but if you want to know for sure, ask your doctor.
    I'm a moderator. Feel free to private message me if you have issues with the forum.

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Teutonica, it could be your thyroid meds causing the diarrhea. Also, how much magnesium do you take a day? That can do it too. It can also be because of your irritated tummy. The acid load hits your intestines and they essentially say, get the heck out of here! Give it a few more days, unless you are having increased pain or bloody stools, then you need to see a doc immediately.

Coumadin is used in patients with an irregular heart rate called atrial fib to prevent a clot from forming in the atria from the turbulent flow of blood caused by the irregular beating of the heart. It's also used if you've had a mechanical (non tissue) heart valve placed, or if you've had a history of blood clots to the legs. I'm guessing your mom had atrial fib.
    I'm a moderator. Feel free to private message me if you have issues with the forum.

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitri2779 View Post
    You are absolutely right I never heard of Leptin until I came on here. It is not taught in school. They still teach the low fat diet!

Up or down??? She chose doooowwwnnnn! Too late now...(from my all time favorite movie, Labyrinth.)
    Lol! Me either! I learned about leptin by researching the paleo/primal way of eating, discovered Jack Kruse and his blog...etc. Most of the docs I work with still promote the low fat diet too. Very little mention of healthy fats, bad fats, inflammation, etc.

R/P/M
    Round 1, phase 2, injections
    ILUVKATS

I'm p3 D13, LIW 170.5. Today I was 174.4!!! TOM is peeking round the corner (spotting yesterday) and I'm retaining water pretty bad. At work so can't do correction day (work 13 hr shifts)...I'm thinking it's due to TOM and the fact that I didn't sleep well last night (son is either getting sick or cutting teeth ). Any advice????

Also, I can see that I am retaining water.

Last edited by Kitri2779; August 11th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    Kitri, Tom puts 2.4 lbs of water on me religiously every month. And if you didn't sleep well on top of that....yeah, it's all water. Eating a lot of pure protein...no veggies for 24 to 48 hours will make you pee most of it out. I also cheat with some dandelion root supplements during those days which are a natural diuretic.... . But don't tell anyone...lol!

R/P/M
    R2P2Rx
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitri2779 View Post
    Kitri and Barb - when I complained to my new doctor (to whom I switched after the hypo debacle with the other one) about the whopping weight gain due to lowering my meds (as per instruction by the previous dr), also mentioning my concern about the rising fasting glucose and the likely re-triggering of active insulin resistance (as in 2006), he said to me: "well, if you eat less and make healthier lifestyle choices, it will be fine". That's the advice people with eating disorders get, I wonder if they tell alcoholics to stop drinking and junkies to shoot up?
    F | 48 | 5'5'' | 166.6 lb
    R5P2L1-L2 3/31-4/1/2014
    WK1 160.6 (-6.0) | WK2 156.4 (-4.2)
    WK3 154.2 (-2.2) | WK4 151.0 (-3.2)
    WK5 147.8 (-3.2) | LIW 145.4 (-2.4)

R/P/M
    R4 P4 subq injections
    .....calories in .....calories out.....that's the mantra they learned in medical school.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast