Popular Pages

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with amounts of butter, coconut oil, HWC etc. on P3??

Yes it IS wonderful We get our butter there as well from an Amish farm...although this country is very strange in that we can get raw milk in some states, but even in those states they are NOT ALLOWED to make butter from the raw cream! LOL So...I need to try and save the cream from the top of the milk and make my own butter........just not easy to do with just one gallon at a time lol.

I don't know what I will do if we have to move to a State that can't sell it. Almost makes a person want to buy land and a cow! (and chickens etc. lol) We do plan on getting a few acres in a few years and I want a large greenhouse and garden and just hope I can still get fresh eggs like I do now Organic dairy from grass fed is definately the way to go in places that can't sell raw! I will do that in a pinch when I don't have time to drive out to the farm

Quote Originally Posted by PeacePilgram View Post
    You are so lucky to have raw milk available to you!!! You can make some great homemade creme fraiche and homemade sour cream to get your fat percentage higher in P3. I wish I could get raw milk but it's extremely hard to get in a city. I buy from an organic grass-fed dairy but they are not allowed to sell unpasteurized/raw for human consumption.
    START DATE: APRIL 16, 2012 (ROUND 1) SW: 222.0
    DAY 58 VLCD
    35.4 lbs in 58 days P2. Wanted more, but will take it!

P3 Start Day: Saturday June 16

THEN I BLEW IT! GAINED 20#'s of the 40 I lost, And am BACK to start over.

RESTART......FEB 12, 2013

R/P/M
    P2 yet again/rx subq
    I had to buy a herd share to get raw milk, so I own a portion of a cow. It is an hour drive to the farm to pick it up; I share driving with others. But it tastes so good and has helped my health, so it is worth it. I make creme fraiche by putting milk in a jar, adding a tablespoon of buttermilk, then letting it sit on the counter for a couple days. I make sour cream the same way, milk, a tablespoon of sour cream, let it sit. Then I use a tablespoon of that batch as a starter for the next batch. That way, I know what is in my food.

R/P/M
    R1/P4/RxHCG
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmrr View Post
    I had to buy a herd share to get raw milk, so I own a portion of a cow. It is an hour drive to the farm to pick it up; I share driving with others. But it tastes so good and has helped my health, so it is worth it. I make creme fraiche by putting milk in a jar, adding a tablespoon of buttermilk, then letting it sit on the counter for a couple days. I make sour cream the same way, milk, a tablespoon of sour cream, let it sit. Then I use a tablespoon of that batch as a starter for the next batch. That way, I know what is in my food.
    Wonderful!!! I am new (started about 4 months ago) to making homemade sour cream, creme fraiche, yogurt, ghee and kefir. Do you recommend using buttermilk over kefir grains?

"If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution."
    -Author unknown

THANK YOU! THAT is exactly what I will start doing! So you just get store brand buttermilk for the first start? I know that after a couple of times the original store bought kind will be nearly gone and then, eventually it will be straight from the raw, so just curious. Maybe I can find organic at least.

I too, am curious about the kefir grains? I do like the idea of using sour cream and buttermilk too though...

Quote Originally Posted by jmmrr View Post
    START DATE: APRIL 16, 2012 (ROUND 1) SW: 222.0
    DAY 58 VLCD
    35.4 lbs in 58 days P2. Wanted more, but will take it!

P3 Start Day: Saturday June 16

THEN I BLEW IT! GAINED 20#'s of the 40 I lost, And am BACK to start over.

RESTART......FEB 12, 2013

R/P/M
    P2 yet again/rx subq
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacePilgram View Post
    Do you recommend using buttermilk over kefir grains?
    My kefir grains died after a couple months and I've never replaced them. I just used a recipe I found online for creme fraiche and it said to use buttermilk. It worked so that's how I've made it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123