Popular Pages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really, really miss bread...whatdaya suggest?

Blog Entries

Question I really, really miss bread...whatdaya suggest?

Now, I don't miss it to the extent that I want to jeopardize my 29.5 weight loss. And I am eating as if I have a tapeworm on P3 and staying right where I need to be. I haven't been able to eat this much food, ever!

I guess I miss the texture of bread. I mean real bread. Italian bead, Crusty Semolina bread...I'm of Italian decent and lived in Brooklyn for many years. I know my bread. Ummmmm... (Sounds like an affair, right?)

Anyway, I want to bite into something. Any suggestions out there?

And what is Mug Cake? I could get my cake groove on if you all think it's worth it.

Thanks!

I definitely think Mug Cake will help - it's sort of breadish. Also, the almond flour/flax flour cookies are kinda breadish too. Here is the Mug Cake recipe. I don't follow it closely= just eyeball the amounts, and it turns out great. I never put vanilla in, and I use a 1/4 tsp baking powder to make it more cakey:

Mug Cake for Phase 3 (319 cal, 29 g fat, 8.5 g carbs, 11.3 g protein)
    2 Tb. Almond flour
    1 1/2 Tb xylitol
    1 Tb. cocoa powder, heaping
    1 egg
    3 Tb. half and half or cream
    1 Tb. butter or coconut oil (I especially love the coconut oil)
    Splash of Vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug (mix dry ing. in mug, mix in milk/oil/vanilla. 1000 watt microwave for 90 secs, cool, add whipped cream on top)

Here is the almond cookie recipe. I don't have any coconut flour, so I used flax flour, which may have been the reason I had to use triple the amount of almond and flax flour to get them to the right consistency for baking. They were very heavy. 2 cookies made me full for hours:

Almond Cookies:
    1 Tb coconut flour
    1 Tb almond flour
    3 Tb coconut oil
    .25 t baking powder
    pinch salt
    .5 t stevia or other sweetener (I used Xylitol to taste before putting in the eggs)
    2 eggs
    .5 t almond essence
    whipping cream or milk to mix

Mix dry ingredients together. Add oil and eggs. (coconut flour absorbs the liquid very quickly so add cream or milk until a soft dropping consistency is reached). Drop spoonfuls onto a non-stick baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Makes about 9 patties. You could add a few sliced almonds to the top before cooking, or coconut to the mix. These come out quite heavy. I haven't yet mastered the blend to make them a bit lighter. But they are quite tasty and great when you need something filling.
    Last edited by DeeGee; November 6th, 2010 at 12:43 PM.

R/P/M
    Loading 10/3 &10/4 Drops
    Bread cravings are a sign of Nitrogen deficency. Try eating more protein.

I thought the mug cake was horrible. that almond flour really turns me off. Best suggestion I have is hold out until P4 and try the real thing. These "fake" sweets and crackers can cause you problems in P3, IMHO. They are pretty high calorie and induldge the cravings P2 should have fixed. Crack and mug cake are causing all sorts of problems if you read threads. That Mug Cake is 500 calories!!!

I used to crave homemade bread. I miss it, I bake it all the time and love the smell. But I have no craving to have it. It would be nice to have a slice of it with butter in a few weeks...but I'm going to make sure it's not a habit. bread, wine and cheese caused my 20 lb gain over the past 10 years.
    Last edited by katiedidit; November 6th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Loading 10/3 and 10/4
    Load Day 2: 158.2
    P2W1: -6.8
    P2W2: -6.4
    P2W3: -2.8 (2 lbs lost after opening new drops,a 6 day stall)
    LDW: 141.0 My days are VLCDs
    12/3: 137.0
    12/20: 137.6
    1/13: 140.0
    2/7: 142.0
    2/21: 132.0 after hysterectomy. Please ladies, if you have uterine fibroids consult your doctor before you go on this diet.
    6/15: 131.somethingeranother

Blog Entries
    Funny you mention protein, Katiedidit! I think I've said on every other post here I crave protein and eat what I feel is an embarrassing amount of it. Apparently, not enough--but, I can fix that. Thanks!

And DeeGee: I think the cookies sound fabulous. I am allergic to chocolate! (Can you hear the violins!) Can you believe that I have a weight problem and haven't eaten chocolate since I was 29! (I'm 52.) Pathetic!

I'm going to try to hold off for now, but at least I have some anno if I can't.

WASA4

hmmm, well, my mug cake is great according to my hubby who is not a 'cake' person! Even my granddaughter loved it.

chocolate is the bottom pyramid on the food group!

The African Honey Badger quelsen's Avatar
    R/P/M
    Round 6 / P2 / Rx Injection
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    hmmm, well, my mug cake is great according to my hubby who is not a 'cake' person! Even my granddaughter loved it.

chocolate is the bottom pyramid on the food group!
    So say we all
    This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.
    quelsen@gmail.com

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic IceMan
    CW 312 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Personalized assistance.

R/P/M
    R3P3 and hovering around liw
    I have a few recipes for bread using flaxseed meal or coconut flour. I've tried a very similar recipe for pound cake using coconut flour and it was dense but breadlike. I found them online somewhere but I can post them if you'd like to try them out

I'd love to have the recipe for poundcake... I love to make strawberry shortcake.

Blog Entries
    Poundcake sounds GREAT! Please post!

R/P/M
    R3P3 and hovering around liw
    Coconut Flour Poundcake

5 eggs
    1 T baking powder(i made my own using creme of tartar and baking soda so it is p3 friendly)
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    Juice from one lemon
    1/8 tsp lemon zest
    2 oz cream cheese
    2 oz butter
    1 cup xylitol
    1 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup coconut oil(this is optional but keeps it from being dry, coconut flour is notorious for sucking up every ounce of moisture)

Beat eggs. Add in vanilla, baking powder, lemon juice and zest and mix well. Add in coconut flour and xylitol.*I added 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum because it helps to keep the end result from drying out too quickly*
    Add in cream cheese, coconut oil and butter and mix well.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I found sugar free strawberry preserves at whole foods and made strawberry shortcake for my mother while she was visiting...she practically licked the plate clean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast