Popular Pages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Wondering About Eating Sweets, Eating Too Much, Etc.

Just Wondering About Eating Sweets, Eating Too Much, Etc.

I don't want to anger anyone. I'm not trying to start a war & I'm not pointing a finger at anyone. I'm certainly not putting forth a "holier than thou" attitude & I hope no one is going to be upset that I'm posting this but I can't help but wonder about some of the posts I've been reading over the past couple of days.

I see people writing things similar to the following ...

"I know I should've have eaten this but ..."
    "I didn't care ... I just went ahead & ate _________ & now my weight is up."
    "I am looking for a recipe for donuts/brownies/cookies/cakes that are allowable."
    "I made _________ last night & ate so much it made me sick."

Etc.

I just don't understand. We are probably all coming from the same place. We were overweight. Some of us still have a lot to lose. We had various addictions ... addictions to breads, addictions to sweets, etc. We ate food as a way to get through bad times, celebrate good times, socialize with friends & family, & more. Some of us ... like me ... ate constantly. I would bake a pan of brownies, a batch of cookies, or buy a loaf of French bread & sit down & eat the entire thing within 1 or 2 days ... among other things. My grocery cart would be filled with various junk foods.

We spent money on hCG & followed the protocol. We lost 20 or 30 or more pounds within 6 weeks or so. Why in heaven's name would you want to throw that all away by overeating allowable foods, searching out junk food substitutes, or running off to McDonalds or Taco Bell or Dairy Queen for "just this once?"

The hCG diet is supposed to, among other things, change our way of eating. We aren't to rely on food anymore to be our comforter, or therapist, or our friend. Food is just fuel for our bodies. It's not something we need to be constantly stuffing in our mouths. Phase 2 should have helped us learn to eat real, nutritous food & to eat wisely.

It would be sad to continue to follow some of the trains of thought as the ones I posted above. Think of an alcoholic. An alcoholic could be sober for a few months but decide "I will just have this small sip of wine to toast the birth of my nephew" & start down the path of alcoholism again. I've always said, even before others thought of it, that food addiction is no different than alcohol addiction. I lost 60 pounds several years ago on a low-carb diet. I felt great. It was Christmastime. I wasn't particularly hungry for candy but hey, it was Christmas! It had always been a tradition to bake M&M cookies, to drink hot chocolate, & to eat ribbon candy. I bought the stuff. It didn't taste particularly good to me at first but again it was Christmas! It was tradition! I ate it! And I ate it some more! And I continued eating it! And before I knew it I was eating like I had always eaten & had gained back the 60 pounds I lost plus another 20.

Upon entering P3 my thoughts were not "Oooo! I can have this chocolate substitute!" or "Yummy! Here's a recipe for sugar-free ice cream!" I am so happy that I can have a piece of cheese, or an omelet filled with various veges, bacon & cheese, or stuffed peppers, or egg drop soup. I have no desire for sweet stuff. I will admit that my heart sometimes skips a beat when I pass the homemade bread section at Whole Foods but I know there are other good, whole grain, low-carb breads over in the freezer section & I can let myself toast a slice for breakfast every so often once P4 gets here. I don't want to but it, take it home & eat the whole loaf.

Those of you who are making excuses for eating unhealthy foods, junk foods, or eating too much of allowable foods ... think hard about how hard you've worked to get where you are right now. Don't throw it all away.

R/P/M
    R1/Phase 2/Injections with B12
    Thank you Sajehill for writing what I have been thinking as well. This is not a fad diet or a way to drop a lot of pounds for a special occasion. It is a protocol for people that really want to change their life. For me the pounds and inches lost is a great thing but my real holy grail is stabilizing my metabolism. I have followed pounds and inches and dedicated myself to this protocol so I can reset my metabolism for a lifetime of healthy eating. P3 for 3 weeks to stabilize by adding more foods with the exception of starch and sugar. P4 is a minimum of 3 weeks to start adding back in starches very slowly so you can figure out which foods trigger a gain for YOU and avoid those foods for the rest of your life. Or eat them in moderation. Dr. Simeon never says add back in sugars, he says slowly add back in starches. Here is an exact excerpt from Pounds & Inches:

For the following 3 weeks all foods allowed except starch and sugar in any form (careful with very sweet fruit).
    After 3 weeks very gradually add starch in small quantities, always controlled by morning weighing.

The three weeks of P4 rule comes in because he states that you need to take 6 weeks off between rounds. However if you have done your final round or don't plan to do another round for a longer period of time then P4 becomes your lifetime maintenance.

Your analogy of an alcoholic is dead on for me. I noticed while loading for this round that once I started eating carbs and sugar combined it set off an addiction that made me crave more. I wasn't hungry but wanted more. Consequently I gained 7.2 pounds on my load days this round. That was an eye opener for me to be very diligent in my P3 and P4 efforts after this round.

I think a lot of people are going to clinics or buying HHCG or HCG off the internet and not understanding the original protocol. So they are treating this weight loss plan like all others that they have failed at. Everyone needs to read Pounds & Inches and really understand the protocol before ingesting any HCG.
    Last edited by Fergy; July 21st, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
    57 Years Young
    5' 5" Tall

The African Honey Badger quelsen's Avatar
    R/P/M
    Round 6 / P2 / Rx Injection
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the desert of the Real World

your eyes hurt because you have never used them

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.
    quelsen@gmail.com

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic IceMan
    CW 312 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Personalized assistance.

R/P/M
    R3/P2/SQ
    Blog Entries
    great post. You can also ask the question of why these same people who run right out to Taco Bell just this once come back and say hcg doesn't work.

You can always tell, it's very obvious who doesn't learn from this and honestly it drives me batsh*t

"A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points" - Alan Kay

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Great post!
    Colleen
    http://www.colleencoble.com I'm a moderator. If you need to report an issue on the forum, feel free to email me at colleen@colleencoble.com. I can't help with technical issues though. Contact Jarret for forum posting problems or go here: http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f20/

I think it's just like any other addiction, you really have to hit rock bottom before you realize it's time for a change! For me, I'm done with the roller coaster. Most food doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I have to admit, I DID cheat in P2. Probably alot. I used every excuse in the book to cheat. I was sick, I had a fight with my hubby, I was stuck with no food and just decided to eat whatever was offered. What I learned from that was that the high was not the same as it used to be. Food was truly a drug for me. Slowly but surely I'm getting over it. But it was done in a time frame that was right for me. I extended my P2 and stopped cheating. I did very well the last few weeks. And now in P3, I don't desire to cheat. My taste buds have totally changed. I thank God for it. But trust me, it took me YEARS to get to this point. It takes others a bit longer to arrive than some.
    R1P3

Released 24.4 lbs on Phase 1! Yay!!!

R/P/M
    R2P3
    Quote Originally Posted by tigga View Post
    I think it's just like any other addiction, you really have to hit rock bottom before you realize it's time for a change! For me, I'm done with the roller coaster. Most food doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I have to admit, I DID cheat in P2. Probably alot. I used every excuse in the book to cheat. I was sick, I had a fight with my hubby, I was stuck with no food and just decided to eat whatever was offered. What I learned from that was that the high was not the same as it used to be. Food was truly a drug for me. Slowly but surely I'm getting over it. But it was done in a time frame that was right for me. I extended my P2 and stopped cheating. I did very well the last few weeks. And now in P3, I don't desire to cheat. My taste buds have totally changed. I thank God for it. But trust me, it took me YEARS to get to this point. It takes others a bit longer to arrive than some.
    I agree about the whole food addiction thing. It IS an addiction! I don't spend a lot of time trying to make the fancy recipes, but I think the cocoa crack is an amazing little treat during the day. For me, simpler is better, but it's taken me a lot to learn this lesson. Thanks for the swift kick in the rear!

R/P/M
    R3/P3 Paleo/Leptin Reset
    Blog Entries
    For me, at least, my biggest problem is overeating the allowed foods, but especially in the first few weeks of P3 it's very hard to judge how things will affect you, and how much your body WANTS you to eat. Am I going to stabilize at 1600 cal? Or 2000 cal? If I stick with 1600 and have a gain, does my body need more to maintain or did something I ate affect me wrong? (especially in R2P3, where I'm having trouble with foods that I was JUST FINE with the first time around)

Just saying, it's not ALWAYS about making "bad" decisions. This whole diet is an experiment and sometimes the results are awesome, sometimes they're disheartening. But every step we take is one more lesson learned about our bodies and the foods that work best for us.
    3/28/11 R1P2D1 = 231.0
    5/06/11 R1P2D40 = 202.2 LDW
    R1 loss = 28.8 lbs

6/12/11 R2P2D1 = 208.2 (5lb load)
    7/14/11 R2P2D33 = 184.4 LDW
    R2 loss = 23.8 lbs

8/29/11 R3P2D1 = 192.8 (6.6lb load)
    10/4/11 R3P2D37 = 171.4 LDW
    R3 loss = 21.4 lbs

1/30/12 R4P2D1 = 193.6 (9 lb load)
    3/08/12 R4P2D36 = 168.2 LDW
    R4 loss = 25.4 lbs

Total (net) loss in 4 rounds = 62.8 LBS!!

Eventual Goal: 153.6 lbs, BMI 24.98, NORMAL!

R/P/M
    R 3 P2 Homeopathic Pellets
    Thanks for a great post sajehill, may we all come to think as you do! I agree with everything you just posted. The addiction part hits very close to home as alcoholism runs in my family. My brother is on a terrible bender. I would sometimes feel guilty condemning him for this when I felt like I was addicted to sugar and diet pepsi. I've often wondered if I've inherited this disease only my drug of choice was sugar.

All I know is that a little over 9 weeks ago my clothes were fitting me like sausage casings (even my underwear!), I couldn't walk more than maybe 20 feet without getting out of breath, & I had trouble putting on my socks! I also had this huge layer of flab on my stomach ... like a fat flap ... that hung down toward my thighs. I hope I'm not grossing anyone out but I could fit the width of almost 3 fingers underneath that flap! The flap is now totally gone on one side & although it's still visible on the other side it no longer hangs to where it covers up my fingers! Doesn't cover them at all! I'm still wearing the same size clothing but everything is definitely looser, I can walk way farther, & I can put on my socks without any problems at all! I sure don't want to go back to what I was like before starting this diet & I don't want to do anything to sabotage the hard work I've already done.

I'm not counting calories on P3. I'm spending these 3 weeks adding more proteins, fruits & veges to my diet. I eat what looks to me like a "normal serving." I've been staying within 2 pounds of my last injection day weight. When I start P4 I will slowly add whole grains to my diet like Ezekiel breads, Barb's Shredded Wheat cereal, & skim milk & watch where the scale takes me.

My doctor does not believe in weight loss via hCG because she says it's been her experience that people get off the diet & before too long they gain all their weight back. Like I said up above, I don't want to ever go back to feeling as horrible as I felt 9 weeks ago. I know that sweets & things like white breads, crackers, & rice cause me to gain weight & after eating them a few times I start craving them. I don't plan to let that happen again. Yes, I will probably miss them sometimes. Like I posted up above, my heart tends to skip a beat when I pass the Whole Foods bakery & smell all that delicious freshly baked bread, but a slice of the Ezekiel bread will be just as good. I won't have to eat the whole loaf : )

I started P3 by adding eggs, different meats, & different veges. I then stopped the eggs & added cheeses. I'm doing fine. Probably tomorrow I will go ahead & eat both eggs & cheese & see where that takes me. Tonight I'm having homemade chili using shredded beef from a roast I made 2 days ago (I have never put beans in my chili), various chopped vegetables, & cheddar cheese melted on top. Who needs more than that : )

sajehill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast