Popular Pages

Thread: Starting P3 Sunday. Large Large man, do I need this many calories for reset?

Starting P3 Sunday. Large Large man, do I need this many calories for reset?

I started Phase 2 at 350lbs. After 30 days my wife and I are transitioning over to P3 on Sunday. I've had great success during P2 and am down to 319. So question regarding resetting my BMR for a truly large male. My recommended caloric intake is just about 3500 calories. Even before HCG I was using a program that had me eating 2300 calories a day and I was finding it hard to hit that without beer, starch and carbs and crap. I see a lot of literature saying that I need a minimum of 1800 calories a day. So im a bit confused. Can I do between 1800-3500 or do I really need to try to hit that 3500 calorie limit every day. If I need to I think that Ill try some sort of protein/calorie shake.

Thanks in advance

Travis

R/P/M
    P4
    Most of us need to eat a lot in P3, so you'll probably have to eat a lot, too. If you eat a lot of fat, you'll be able to get your calories up, but I don't recommend counting calories unless you are having trouble stabilizing. Also, the calorie count you calculated is for your BASE metabolic calories. If you're planning on getting out of bed, you need more. Just focus on eating lots of protein, fat and non-starchy vegetables. Eat until you are full or satisfied, and don't limit yourself if you are hungry. A tablespoon of whipping cream has 55 calories, so if you drink a couple cups of coffee, each with 3 T cream, you've had 330 calories just for a beverage. Butter, coconut oil, avocado, sour cream, cheese, bacon, etc also are all very calorie dense. Cook your meat or eggs in fat. Put full fat salad dressing on your salads. Eat fattier cuts of meat, and eat the dark meat and skin on your chicken. Eat salmon over lean white fish. Congratulations on losing weight and getting healthier. Everyone is scared of P3, but it isn't hard. Just eat real food that you cook yourself. Read all labels.

sweetiepie
    I still counted calories in the beginning of P3 (using MyFitnessPal), but mainly to get a feel for what I am eating, and how my protein/ fat/ carbs statistics are. Generally, I need to add loads of coconut oil and olive oil to my food to get to my calories on P3... because I am now eating way less than before, and it is hard to overeat on protein and veggies alone. But I never ever reached my official calorie goals... my body was obviously signalling that hey, I am still obese, so less hunger please... something like that. I was also still losing on P3, keeping paleo - I am assuming I am leptin sensitive again, and that my body really, really likes not having carbs and sugars around anymore.

Just really get a feel for what your body wants and needs - and have some coconut oil handy at all times!

R/P/M
    R1.P3, sublingual
    so what your saying is dont worry about calories? just stay away from starches/sugars/carbs? I had a ham and cheese omelet at WH. It was 662 calories. Lots of protein and fat. Im concerned. im a little concerned. Dr t 's book said eat whatever you want. However much you want as long as it doesnt have the 3 deadly sins in them? IS that correct. I think i need to read the book again?

sweetiepie
    After having rested your gut and hypothalamus, you should have an at least somewhat increased indication of hunger, feeling full, and what your body needs. At least at my weight, I found it difficult to get enough calories without adding fat to most dishes... because I just wasn't eating as much anymore after HCG. On the other hand, chances are that your gut is now sensitive to foods that you never had problems with before. Those cause physical problems (stomach cramps, diarrhea) or weight gain/ water retention through inflammation. For me, that's eggs and yogurt/ mozzarella - but I can do some dairy nevertheless.

Be very careful with processed foods - you won't believe where they add sugar. Usually to ham as well, by the way. Last week, I tried to find canned tomatoes - one out of 15 cans was without sugar. The same for mustard, mayonnaise, etc.

Then you get the paleo/ primal crowd like me, that goes a tad further than Dr Simeon. You do not officially have to stay away from vegetable oils or soy (coconut and olive are peachy, though), but we prefer to keep clean and stay away from foods with high omega-6 or thyroid-stimulating ingredients.

If you get good at reading labels and ingredients, not just nutritional values... If you slowly start with known trouble foods one by one (eggs, dairy, cheese, nuts)... If you go for good fats and meat and fish and non-starchy veggies... Then P3 really is a breeze and loads of fun.

R/P/M
    P4
    What is WH? Is that Waffle House? Are they one of the restaurants that adds pancake batter to their omelets like IHOP does? I've never eaten there, but, at WH, I'm pretty sure the ham has sugar and/or starch in it, the cheese is processed or contains additives and the omelet is cooked in some type of gmo rancid vegetable oil that isn't good for you and may cause weight gain. So stay away from sugar/starch and processed junk food, but be aware that almost any restaurant food is going to contain sugar/starch and processed junk.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmrr View Post
    What is WH? Is that Waffle House? Are they one of the restaurants that adds pancake batter to their omelets like IHOP does?
    Slight hijack, but what is up with that? I've never had an omelet at IHOP, but why would they think this is a good idea? People who are doing low carb, people with gluten issues, etc. often order omelets because eggs are a "safe" food. Adding pancake batter just screws it up. I think it's a crappy idea. At least they're broadcasting it though. Now we all know NOT to eat there.

R/P/M
    P4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
    Slight hijack, but what is up with that? I've never had an omelet at IHOP, but why would they think this is a good idea? People who are doing low carb, people with gluten issues, etc. often order omelets because eggs are a "safe" food. Adding pancake batter just screws it up. I think it's a crappy idea. At least they're broadcasting it though. Now we all know NOT to eat there.
    When I first got diagnosed with Celiac, EVERYONE told me to avoid the IHOP omelets because of the pancake batter. I think it must make them fluffier or something. I haven't eaten at IHOP in about 30 years, so I think I'm safe, but you can't trust any of these restaurants.