Popular Pages

Thread: Combining Carbs with Fat: How Much is Too Much?

R/P/M
    R5P3 hhcg
    Blog Entries

Combining Carbs with Fat: How Much is Too Much?

Hi all. Just started P4 yesterday. I've read from Beth_M and others that combining high carbs with high fats is a recipe for disaster. But what is "high?" I was thinking about making some quinoa pasta tonight, tossed with a little olive oil (just to coat), some goat feta, basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes. If I add some minced kalamata olives, will that be too much fat? I know everyone's different...just wanting some guidelines as I dip my toe into the scary starches. :-) Thanks.
    Laura

Good question, I hope you get some answers soon.

R/P/M
    80lbs lost, hhcg, rx, patches
    Blog Entries
    I have had good success with eating lower fat when eating starchy carbs or sugars in the same meal. I think this is more important when the carbs are simple carbs (white flour, etc) and sugars rather then when it's complex carbs (whole grain, quinoa, potatoes, etc).

I don't really have a level as I don't eat starchy carbs consistently enough to test. The thought process is that when presented with both fats and carbs/sugars in the same meal the body is going to use whatever is easier to convert to energy first and store any excess in the form of fats. Simple carbs (Table sugar,Corn syrup,Fruit juice, Candy, Cake, Bread made with white flour, Pasta made with white flour, Soda pop, All baked goods made with white flour, Most packaged cereals, etc) and essentially any very processed food will be used by the body first. When presented with complex carbs and fats, the body will use from the fats first and then work on processing the carbs.

At least that's my understanding.

Here's one of many lists of examples of complex carbs.
    Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit
    Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples
    Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes
    Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots, Dried
    Zucchini Oatmeal Pears
    Asparagus Oat bran cereal Plums
    Artichokes Museli Strawberries
    Okra Wild rice Oranges
    Cabbage Brown rice Yams
    Celery Multi-grain bread Carrots
    Cucumbers Pinto beans Potatoes
    Dill Pickles Yogurt, low fat Soybeans
    Radishes Skim milk Lentils
    Broccoli Navy beans Garbanzo beans
    Brussels Sprouts Cauliflower Kidney beans
    Eggplant Soy milk Lentils
    Onions Whole meal spelt bread Split peas
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    216 to 135 in 3 rounds. I've done hHCG, RX, and patches.
    My HCG journey blog.
    My Facebook Group-Working At Healthy or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/beth.mansfield.9
    I am sometimes easier to catch on Facebook

I'm a moderator. If you need to report an issue on the forum, please feel free to private message me!

In lifelong maintenance? Check out SkinnyFiber

R/P/M
    RD4/PH2/Subliminal --- J/K Sublingual
    Blog Entries
    I'm just going to pipe in here and say that my first real carbs last P4 was a sweet potato. I do plan on adding more carbs this round and when I do I'm eating them at least 2 hours separate from protein and If they are not good sources of fiber I plan on adding a good fiber source such as spinach and just one fat such as feta cheese. Eventually I will I will add them to more regular meals but I'm starting off slow and plain. I already bought Barley and Black Quinoa to try. I am going to try to log my P3 and P4 more carefully this time since I totally dropped the ball Last round.
    R1 09/11/2010 - 317.4 lbs
    LDW RD1 - 277.2lbs (-40.2lbs)
    LDW RD2 - 239lbs ( -39.2lbs) (see blog for details)
    Begin Rd3 224.6
    LDW 200.2 (-24.4)
    Begin Rd4 212.4 (load +7)
    LDW Rd4 182.2 (-30.2)

www.hcgdifference.com
    The hcg I use

R/P/M
    R5P3 hhcg
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, everyone, for your input. Feisty, I've never gained in the past from quinoa or acorn squash (both with ample butter). I made the quinoa pasta tonight...good! Dared to eat a modest portion with 5 oz of sirloin. I know it's food combining. Took enzymes. Also taking probiotics. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow.

Update April 21: 2400 calories yesterday (highest yet!). Combined the meat with the quinoa pasta, goat feta, oil, olives. Drank two glasses of red wine and finished dinner with a serving of cocoa crack. I'm exactly the same weight today. Pinch me. I pray it lasts.

Would love to hear from some more folks, too, about do's and dont's of high fat + high carb.
    Last edited by derocherl; April 21st, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
    Laura

Marietta
    R/P/M
    HHCG R2P3
    Just wanted to say that on other 'grazing aka healthy 5 meal a day diets" i was allowed complex 'good' carbs but was told to eat a protein along with it.....i lost like 40 lbs in 3 mos and was NEVER hungry. It is kinda what i plan to do in PH 4. In PH 3 (and i'm almost ready to start my 3rd week), i am eating strictly on hcg protocol. I had pasta...but NOT regular. I ate RICE pasta -- Tinkyada brand makes an awesome pasta...i used to eat about 1/2 cup cooked with my protein choice. Tasted very good .. the only diff was that it did not keep as well as regular mushy starch pasta. lol it would tend to get a little hard.

Good luck to you all............i can't wait to do Ph. 4 and then on to Round 2 for 20 more lbs!!
    HHCG Post load weight 194.2
    end of R1 weight 168.2 (at end of P4)

R2 after load: 172.4
    LDW end of R1 160.6
    R2P3W2 159.6

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods