I don't refrain, but I limit it severely during the reset period. After reset, you can introduce some dairy and Kruse suggests that you monitor your blood glucose reading to see how if effects your body. One gal did that and her BG didn't jump that high, so he said should be OK. If Paleo isn't your thing, you can do Primal which is a little more relaxed. On Primal, as long as you are eating Paleo 80%, then the other 20% of the time you can have those things which aren't encouraged to be part of the daily Paleo intake, like dairy, grain, etc.