Popular Pages

Thread: Alternative Proteins...Chia Seeds / for P3 and P4

I am sorry to make such lengthy posts. I have been researching ways to up my protein but not having to rely only on meats/fish. I love this stuff!

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon or about 10 grams (dry seeds)
    Servings per container: about 44
    Every gelled 1 tbsp of Chia makes 9 tbsp of chia gel.

Calories per serving: 68
    Total Fat/Oils 4.5 g (6% Daily value)
    * The oil in chia is the healthy Omega-3 oil, most often found in fish such as salmon and cod-liver.
    Saturated fat <1g
    Trans Fat 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 2.5 mg
    Carbohydrates 6g (2% Daily Value
    Dietary Fiber 5.5 g (21% Daily Value)
    Sugars 0
    Protein 2g
    * Chia is a complete protein, much like that found in animal sources. With Chia, you don't need to combine foods to make complete protein, unlike with other vegetable sources.
    Vitamin A 0%
    Calcium 9%
    Niacin 3%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 7%
    Thiamin 7%

One easy way to add Chia seeds to your diet is to make a basic Chia Gel and keep it in the frig. This gel can be added to recipes or smoothies and will keep in the frig for about 2 weeks.

How to Make A Basic Chia Gel

Put slightly warmed water into a container with a tight-fitting lid, use either plastic or a glass jar. Pour one part dry seeds into 9 parts water, stir or whisk to break up any clumps. Let mixture stand for 1 minute and whisk again. Store in the refrigerator.

The amount of water you use determines the thickness of the gel-ie, the more water you use, the less thick the gel will be.You can determine how you prefer it after experimenting.

How to Use Chia Gel in Recipes

Add this mixture to sauces, drinks, yogurt, salad dressings, cream cheese, salsa, cereals, yogurt, dips, puddings, soups, or other liquid or creamy foods. The gel wonít affect flavor, but does boost nutritional value!

Chia gel is a wonderful replacement for fats in baked goods.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Ways to use them:

And to Drinks:
    Not that it is much of a "recipe", but I'll start with the simplest gluten-free treat that I like using Chia Seeds in: coffee! (or Tea) I simply add a tablespoon or two of the Chia Seed to my (large - 16oz+) glass of hot coffee, and let them soak for a few minutes before adding soy milk or whatever else. The seeds expand like pearl tapioca, and get that "fish egg" type of feel. I find them enjoyable, and much like tapioca drinks called "boba" or "bubble tea", but unlike pure-carbohydrate tapioca, these Chia Seeds add significant nutrition to a drink.

Note: I recommend drinking plenty of fluid with these. The dietary fiber concentration is so incredibly high, the demand for complementary fluids is going to be rather high too. This should be easy enough to achieve, especially if using them in coffee or tea, and should be part of any diet plan with proper hydration.

CHIA LEMON AGUA FRESCA "JELLO" DRINK

1/4 cup chia seeds
    8 oz water (use more or less to your own preference)
    tsp lemon juice

Place seeds in the water, and stir or shake. Let it sit until the water starts to become a gel. This can take up to 45 minutes. Add the lemon juice and enjoy. Chill if desired.

Chia seeds are fairly tasteless and can be added to tons of different meals including salad dressings, smoothies, and breakfasts. My favorite is pudding!

Tapioca pudding is great, but have you ever heard of chiapioca pudding? Itís a delicious raw pudding made from chia seeds.

Ingredients

* 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
    * 1 1/2 Cups Nut Milk of Choice (I like Almond Milk)
    * Dash of vanilla
    * stevia to sweeten

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients in a mason jar or other glass container.
    2. Shake well to ensure Chia seeds are submerged in the nut milk.
    3. Store in refrigerator overnight. The Chia seeds will soak up the water and become chewy just like tapioca.
    4. Serve in a tall glass with a straw and slurp up!

From: http://gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com/2008/06/gluten-free-chia-seeds-superfood-status.html

Can we have Chia seeds by themselves during phase 2? I love them! It would help break things up a bit too.

I started with chia seeds this week (I am doing second round of p2 next week...load days on Sat &Sun). I am going to use them on P2 because I am training for a cycling race. It will only add about 40-60 cal per day and most of that is protein calories. I also think it will help to keep me full. I'll let you know if it affects weight loss (this week I'm down 3 lbs without really trying).

Awesome zbernie. I know they are not on the P2 protocol, I am using them in P3.... I hope all works well if you decide to add a bit in, keep us posted.

Hello,

How did the chia seeds work out for you when you were in P2 of the diet? I ask because I am developing an alternative food list and such for vegans would like to know if this affects the P2 or P3 results.

You can email me at alex@hcgapp{dot}com.
    thanks
    alex