Popular Pages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood work shows loss of muscle mass during phase 2

Blood work shows loss of muscle mass during phase 2

I had blood work done before I started the HCG diet and again when I finished Phase 2 a few days ago. Everything was good in my first test. The second test after I finished a 28 day cycle on Rx HCG 175 iu, my Creatinine showed too low. This means I've lost muscle mass. I'm really disappointed! I shouldn't have lost muscle mass only abnormal fat. I certainly didn't expect it to be too low. I'm concerned. Has anyone else experienced this?

R/P/M
    R1/P2
    Creatinine is a measure of how the kidneys are functioning. Why do you relate this to muscle mass? In fact, if your kidneys were overloaded processing protein from muscle breakdown then the number would go up, not down. Low creatinine is good.

I read about low creatinine levels on LiveStrong.com. They do mention kidney issues, but it says it will be high if there is a kidney issue. If it's low, it's decreased muscle mass. Here's the article...

Decreased Muscle Mass
    ===================
    Creatinine levels are usually higher in men because their muscle mass is higher than that of women. In people who have decreased muscle mass, creatinine levels may be low. Aging causes a natural decline in the amount of muscle mass in the body. Some medical conditions also cause wasting of the muscles and a reduction in muscle mass.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/19...#ixzz1M6ZuBeQJ
    ===============

I also found this

"Low levels of creatinine are found in conditions that cause decreased muscle mass. Decreased levels are temporarily found in pregnancy as well."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...#ixzz1M6aWoSEU

The last part about pregnancy might be the HCG.

R/P/M
    R4/P2/RX inj
    Did you get your level before you started, and now you're comparing your before and after numbers? If not, then there's a possibility that your number was low even before HCG.

There are a number of people who have done before and after Bod Pod readings, and most of them have shown no muscle loss. I've done my before reading, but I'm not done with my round yet, so I don't know what the after will show yet.

EDIT -- I see that you said in your post that you did a before an after. You might want to consider getting a Bod Pod (or similar) check and see where your lean mass is. Also how long after you stopped taking the HCG did you do your bloodwork? If it's the HCG causing the low reading (the pregnancy part), then you may want to re-check it again in about 3 weeks. For people that report high readings for their lipid panel and triglycerides on bloodwork have said that if they re-test in about 3 weeks, the ranges show normal.
    Last edited by vondalyn; May 12th, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
    R1 Pounds -26, Inches -22
    R2 Pounds -20
    R3 Pounds -10 (stopped early, my head wasn't in it)
    R4 Pounds -8.4 (in progress)

R/P/M
    P2/Injections/Rogue
    Blog Entries
    Anytime you lose fat you will lose muscle if it's from dieting. The bigger you are the more lean muscle base your body has. As you get to a lighter weight your body needs less muscle to do the same functions and it will decrease along with the fat. Nothing to worry about there as long as you are still maintaining a healthy amount of muscle.

R/P/M
    R1/P3/SubQ Injections
    Low protein diets can also cause low creatine. Like Madxma mentioned, high creatine levels are usually found along with excessive protein breakdown (ie high protein diets). If you just ended P2 you've been on a low protein diet for at least a month.

Although I'm not crazy about the idea of relying on livestrong.com for medical advice, here's another article form that site that addresses this issue: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28207-improving-creatinine-levels/#ixzz1MB5p4z2L
    "Creatine is a substance that is found in high-protein animal products such as red meat and poultry. When creatine is broken down for energy, creatinine is produced. One way to improve blood creatinine levels is to reduce the amount of protein that is eaten in the diet."

I've never heard anyone attempt to correlate creatine levels with muscle mass.
    See my before and after pics at http://losingwithhcg.wordpress.com

Round 1
    Pre-loading (4/2) - 191.0
    LIW (5/18) - 164.8
    26.2lbs lost!

Round 2
    Pre-loading (7/1) - 168.2
    Post-loading (7/6)- 180.0
    VLCD20 - 159.6 (-8.6)

Thanks for the info everyone. I took a blood test 5 days after the last injection. I was checking to see if my numbers changed. The muscle mass correlation concerned me because I lost a lot of pounds (20lbs in 28 days) but only 5 inches - 1" in arm, 3" in chest and only 1" in my stomach (which is where I carry my fat). I'm only 5 lbs away from my goal weight, but still wearing the same size as before. I have some smaller clothes from when I weighed this much and they are still too tight. I don't understand how I can lose 20 lbs and this be the case. Only my husband has noticed my weight loss and that's because he is looking hard to tell. None of my friends or co-workers have said anything. All of this plus the blood work points towards lost muscle. I'm hoping I will still do some re-shaping in P3. I'll also be hitting the gym soon, so if I did lose muscle I will start to rebuild it.

The African Honey Badger quelsen's Avatar
    R/P/M
    Round 6 / P2 / Rx Injection
    Blog Entries
    Creatine is present in everyone’s body in the form of Creatine Phosphate. It is an organic chemical that replenishes energy, particularly during high intensity energy bursts. The average person has roughly 120g of Creatine Phosphate in their system. Creatine is consumed regularly via your diet in foods such as beef and fatty fish. In order to benefit from enhanced performance in your workouts or active periods, you must supplement your body’s natural reserves.

How does creatine work?

How creatine works in your body is a complex process, here is the simplified explanation:

During periods of intense physical activity or anaerobic workouts, your body uses its stored ATP (adenosine triphosphate) as a fuel source for your muscles. As ATP stores in your muscles are depleted, they are transformed into ADP (adenosine diphosphate). It’s at this point that creatine comes into the picture. Since ADP cannot be used by your body as a fuel source for your muscles, it enlists the help of creatine to convert ADP back to ATP which can once again be used as a fuel source.

Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to all cells in the body, primarily muscle, by increasing the formation of Adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Creatine was identified in 1832 when Michel Eugène Chevreul discovered it as a component of skeletal muscle, which he later named creatine after the Greek word for meat, κρέας (kreas). In solution, creatine is in equilibrium with creatinine.[1]

my read on this is when Ketone bodies are high Creatine is low, and that low creatine levels would corelate to being in a Ketogenic cycle not a glugogenic cycle, which was the point we were all hoping for.
    Last edited by quelsen; May 13th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
    This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.
    quelsen@gmail.com

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic IceMan
    CW 312 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Personalized assistance.

Hello Flabbott, I'm new to the board and diet but I also lost some muscle. I went in for my first 2 week check up with my Dr. and he runs a Bioimpedance Analysis at each visit and out of the 16 lbs I lost half was lean muscle. He told me that happens, but he does not want it to continue, so he told me to up my protein a bit and prescribed some testosterone cream to help keep the muscle that I have. I go back in 2 more weeks and he will run another test and well see how it goes. Good luck with your diet

Please note that creatine and creatinine are not the same. Creatinine is contained in muscles formed from protein metabolism. Creatinine is produced when your body metabolizes that creatine.

Creatine is typically introduced into the body via red meats, or supplemented as a powder.

Just please realize there is a difference. I noticed this post went from creatinine to creatine. There is a definite correlation between the 2, but still different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast