Popular Pages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Cottage Cheese Allowed in Phase 3

I think I am eggs intolerant. So not sure what to eat for breakfast. Is cottage cheese allowed.
    Also I don't think I can have strawberries. Having trouble gaining.
    What fruits are allowed?

It sure is. I had that for breakfast quite often!

Just stay away from the sweeter fruits, like bananas, berries, pineapple and you should be fine. I actually added peaches during my 3rd week with no problem. You could try some pears, oranges, etc
    R1 starting weight 200.4lbs
    Current weight after R2 161lbs
    19.5 inches lost
    Currently in P4

You can make great cottage cheese pancakes for P3...basically you put the cottage cheese in the blender, then mix with egg whites that are whipped, a little protein powder and a little sugar-free sweetner. You can also make P3 friendly pancakes with almond flour.

Protein shakes are also an option (look for a brand that's low in carbs, sugar-free), as well as plain Greek yogurt. I liked canned pumpkin mixed with cinnamon, ginger, and sugar-free maple sryup warmed up with some cream cheese stirred in too, like a warm cheesecake pudding.

Cottage cheese is also allowed in P2 for vegetarians or for an occasional substitute to meat, btw

Thanks for the info. All the food sounds yummy. I am hungry tho, so all sounds good.
    I was wondering tho, if only the low fat cottage cheese is ok or can I have the 4%, (it tastes better).
    I will have to try a pear. I am going into week 2 of ph3 and having trouble, so finding out what I can and cant eat is frustrating.

Pumpkin isn't high in starch. One half cup has 3 net carbs (it is very high in fiber), that's comparable to a handful almonds. Many low-carb diets recommend pumpkin...and I've seen in on some P3 foods lists on various hcg sites. I'm talking about plain canned, not the pie mix stuff.

Also, I know P3 isn't supposed to be about counting carbs, but that's what carbs measure--sugar and starch, which are treated the same by the body (turned into glucose for fuel.) That's true for natural products as well, including yogurt and other dairy products, which many people eat in P3. A cup of yogurt is actually higher in carbs than a cup of pumpkin, it has a higher sugar/starch content, reflected in the carb count.

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    It has 12 grams of carbs in its 49 calories. That's high. There is no net carbs stuff in P3. It's not South Beach diet. :-( you can't eat high carbs just because it has fiber in it. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2601/2
    Colleen

Well that's not what the label on mine says, Libby's. It has one half cup has 9 total carbs and 5 grams of that are fiber, and 4g natural sugar. So no starch and total "net carbs" that your body would recognize/digest is only 4. .http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/pumpkin.aspx

The body doesn't digest fiber, so why on earth would you count it? It's not a starch. That is why people eat miracle noodles, they are 100% fiber.

For reference, here are the stats for almond flour, which you say is ok to eat in P3. http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-flours-almond-meal-flour_f-Y2lkPTI3OTQ5JmJpZD0xODk5JmZpZD0xMzg2ODYmZWlkPTU1ND UxMjE5NCZwb3M9MSZwYXI9JmtleT1hbG1vbmQgZmxvdXI.html

total carbs 1/2 cup 12 grams
    fiber 6 grams
    sugars 2 grams

(the other 4 must be starch)

So to me, pumpkin is a better choice!

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    You could apply that same thing to high fiber breads and stuff though, which aren't on protocol either. It's dangerous territory to rationalize how you can eat something that's not on the protocol. I'm glad it's worked for you but for those of us more sensitive to starchy veggies and grains, it would be a problem. :-( A person can always try something and see how it does for them but I was just pointing out it's not technically on protocol. :-(
    Colleen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast