Popular Pages

Thread: Omg! P2 Teriyaki sauce! Did I overdo it? help...

Omg! P2 Teriyaki sauce! Did I overdo it? help...

For the first time I cooked a sauce from the P2 cookbook (amazing!) - the Teriyaki sauce. I made the whole recipe and it reduced to the most gorgeous dark brown puddle in my pan... the house smelled AMAZING. I had to bribe myself to let it reduce the full 20 minutes (kept tasting it). I cooked my chicken breast directly in the sauce. Didn't realize how rich and concentrated the sauce would become! Omg, it was so delicious that once I'd finished eating the chicken, I added ~1/2C home made chicken stock to the remainder of the sauce and drank it like soup. I was in a total flavor trance - I would have drank a gallon if I had it, I just couldn't stop.

Have I done a bad bad thing? I can tell the sodium was very high from the liquid aminos and the unbelievably delicious salty flavor. My broth is completely unsalted. Was I supposed to portion out the Terikaki sauce to have with multiple meals? I don't even begin to know how to count the calories. Help...
    Round 1: - 11.0 (LDW 129)
    R1P3 started 2/15/2011

R/P/M
    R5/P3/SubQ
    Blog Entries
    What were the ingredients? How much Bragg's did you use? I can't have more than 1TB of that without retaining from the high sodium. Did the recipe say if it is 1 serving or multiple? That sure sounds delicious, I crave chinese food in P2 a lot. I will be interested to see what your scale says tomorr.w

R5P3
    At Goal!!
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin!"

R/P/M
    R3
    What all was in it? I think the sodium may make you retain water. Just make sure you drink a lot of water today andtomorrow.
    Danyel

Oh my gosh, I just re-read the recipe and it called for (gulp) 1/4 cup Braggs liquid aminos! Omg I'm gonna be a water balloon tomorrow. Eegads! I didn't use the full amount because I didn't have enough, but it was somewhere in that neighborhood.

I further notice as I'm cutting and pasting that it is 1-2 servings (1 fruit). Okay, I'm totally good with sacrificing this afternoon's fruit for this. But the salt! Aye caramba. (it was so worth it though (I say now) - --- soooo delicious!!)

Teriyaki Sauce

Ingredients
    cup beef or chicken broth (Depending on your protein choice)
    cup Bragg’s liquid aminos
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    Orange juice (Juice from 3 segments)
    cup lemon juice
    1 tablespoon finely minced onion
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    teaspoon powdered ginger or grated fresh ginger
    1 clove finely minced garlic
    Lemon and/or orange zest to taste
    Stevia to taste

Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce
    heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced. The longer you
    simmer the richer the flavors. As the liquid reduces, deglaze the pan with a
    little water or broth to intensify the flavors. Enjoy as a glaze or sauce with
    chicken or beef.
    Makes 1-2 servings (1 fruit)

[eta: I modified it a bit - I didn't have an orange so I left it out. I used the juice of 1/2 fresh lemon instead of 1/4C. I skipped the minced onion and garlic and just used powdered. The ginger is key - it makes the whole sauce!!]
    R1P3 started 2/15/2011

R/P/M
    R5/P3/SubQ
    Blog Entries
    I'm so going to try that but with less Bragg's. Drink drink drink water and hopefully you won't have any ill effects from your delicious sauce!

R5P3
    At Goal!!
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin!"

Thanks, I will!! At this moment I'm camped out with a huge glass of water but still really psyched about my awesome lunch, lol.

Yes, use a bit less Braggs and it'll still be amazing. It reduces into a concentrated, rich sauce. Wonderful.
    R1P3 started 2/15/2011

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    FYI, Braggs slows many of us down. It's soy which affects your thyroid.
    Colleen
    http://www.colleencoble.com I'm a moderator. If you need to report an issue on the forum, feel free to email me at colleen@colleencoble.com. I can't help with technical issues though. Contact Jarret for forum posting problems or go here: http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f20/

Well, this will stand as my test then. I've got celiac and I don't like the taste of Tamari, so I've used Braggs aa's in place of soy sauce. However, I do know I don't tolerate soy milk or fake beef (the soy rubbery bits). Since my body is so cleaned out and purified from the first 2 weeks of P2, this will be my experiment to see if soy in this form upsets my stomach. Maybe pre-hcg, in the general milieu of my diet, a sensitivity to this went unnoticed...

Thanks for the soy reminder!
    R1P3 started 2/15/2011

Well, seems like everything worked out for the overnight. I'll see what my weight does the next couple of days, but I drank a lot of water yesterday and some smooth move mixed with chamomile last night before bed, and I feel good. No puffy face, which is strange as I almost always puff up after a salt fest (like chinese food especially...). I'm happy, whatever the cause!
    R1P3 started 2/15/2011