Popular Pages

Thread: PH Urine Test - Ketosis

I measured a 5.5 PH on my urine test. Am I in Ketosis?

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    I don't know but it doesn't matter. Ketosis isn't a part of this diet. You just follow the protocol and don't worry about what any sticks say. LOL
    Colleen
    Colleen
    http://www.colleencoble.com I'm a moderator. If you need to report an issue on the forum, feel free to email me at colleen@colleencoble.com. I can't help with technical issues though. Contact Jarret for forum posting problems or go here: http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f20/

Yup, what Grammy said

OK, so we don't need to be in ketosis?? I had a urine test today and they said I was spilling large amounts of ketones. Is this ok???

R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Some do and some don't but it doesn't matter at all. It's not at all important. :-)
    Colleen
    http://www.colleencoble.com I'm a moderator. If you need to report an issue on the forum, feel free to email me at colleen@colleencoble.com. I can't help with technical issues though. Contact Jarret for forum posting problems or go here: http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/f20/

But it is not a bad thing if I am?? I don't want any off protocol things going on with me!!

I would think it just confirms that you are buring fat and passing it. I check mine everyday as it is positive reinforcement to see that dark purple color (I use ketostix). Never achieved that level of ketosis on strict atkins diet in the past.

VLCD day 17, down 24lbs

Some information I found interesting for those like me who wondered about the Ketosis:

If the diet is changed from a highly glycemic diet to a diet that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process the adult brain does not burn ketones; however, the brain makes immediate use of this important substrate for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly utilize the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.

Whether ketosis is taking place can be checked by using special urine test strips such as Ketostix.

Ketosis is deliberately induced in the ketogenic diet used to treat epilepsy. Other uses of low-carbohydrate diets remain controversial.

Some medical resources regard ketosis as a physiological state associated with chronic starvation.[citation needed] Some clinicians regard ketosis as a crisis reaction of the body due to a lack of carbohydrates in the diet and consider it a dangerous and potentially life-threatening state that stresses the liver and causes destruction of muscle tissues.[4][5][6] It should be remembered from the above discussion that ketogenesis does not destroy muscle tissue. Ketogenesis can occur solely from the byproduct of fat degradation: acetyl-CoA. Ketosis, which is accompanied by gluconeogenesis (the creation of de novo glucose from amino acids), is the specific state with which clinicians are concerned.

The anti-ketosis conclusions have been challenged by a number of doctors and adherents of low-carbohydrate diets, who dispute assertions that the body has a preference for glucose and that there are dangers associated with ketosis.[7][8][9] It has been argued that not only did hunter societies live for thousands of years in a primarily ketogenic state, but also that there are many documented cases of modern humans living in these societies for extended periods of time.[10] While it is believed by some that exercise requires carbohydrate intake in order to replace depleted glycogen stores, studies have shown that after a period of 24 weeks adaptation, physical endurance is unaffected by ketosis.

From Wikipedia