Popular Pages

Thread: Canned Tomatoes

R/P/M
    R5/P3/SubQ
    Blog Entries

Canned Tomatoes

Are canned tomatoes okay to cook with and eat? I had a can of Hunt's (100% natural) fire roasted diced tomatoes in the pantry and used one-half of it last night to make a really yummy chicken stew...but now I'm worried that that was a cheat. I also have some Hunt's no salt added diced tomatoes. Can someone let me know if these are okay? I'm a newbie and still figuring things out...

R5P3
    At Goal!!
    "Nothing tastes as good as thin!"

R/P/M
    P3 as of November 2, 2010...just in time to get to P4 by Thanksgiving!
    I've been using canned tomatoes with no problem for things like chili. Main thing is to read the label and make sure it doesn't contain anything else (although I think citric acid is often used as a preservative, and it doesn't seem to cause me trouble either). YMMV.
    108 days on HCG (July 15-November 1). P3 November 2-24. P4 beginning Thanksgiving Day 2010!
    LIW: 128.0
    Height: 5'4"

R/P/M
    R2 P3 HHCG LDW 140.4
    Quote Originally Posted by corbow View Post
    I've been using canned tomatoes with no problem for things like chili. Main thing is to read the label and make sure it doesn't contain anything else (although I think citric acid is often used as a preservative, and it doesn't seem to cause me trouble either). YMMV.
    Prayin~
    I'm with Corbow!! Round 1 I did not use, Round 2 I'm using without an issues - to make Chili or Marinara for variety!! Tomorrow night making Italian Meatballs - simply salt n pepper with a great little garlic/tomato marinara!!
    (Last round did not have spice...I like spice...its nice!!)
    Round 1: June 7 - October 1, 2010
    186.0 to 150.0 -36 pounds
    (-.31# lost/day average, -4.0 off chest, -9.0 off waist and -4.5 off hips)
    Round 2 (Goal 130)
    October 2, 2010 - Load Wt 154.4
    P2 LDW 140.4
    P3 beginning Wt 138.4
    November 16, 2010

...you can do it...~from The Waterboy

"You've got to go out on a limb ~because that's where the fruit is" ~Will Rogers

R/P/M
    R5/P3/SubQ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by divn_diva View Post
    Prayin~
    I'm with Corbow!! Round 1 I did not use, Round 2 I'm using without an issues - to make Chili or Marinara for variety!! Tomorrow night making Italian Meatballs - simply salt n pepper with a great little garlic/tomato marinara!!
    Would you share your meatball recipe? I've tried a couple different things with ground beef and still haven't made anything I like...not a big beef fan.

R5P3
    At Goal!!

R/P/M
    Lost count of what round, I know I've done 4. P2, oral drops.
    Blog Entries
    What do you eat with the meatballs? I am on VLCD3 and I am not up on any cheat items that are out there. Please share.
    Quote Originally Posted by divn_diva View Post
    Prayin~
    Leslie

Total loss on HCG as of 10/26/10 - 41.8 lbs. I think I've gained half of this back didn't keep track and so not 100% certain. Back again and ready to make my accomplishments stick this year, even if it takes me awhile to get there!

R/P/M
    R5/P3/SubQ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DoingThisForMe View Post
    What do you eat with the meatballs? I am on VLCD3 and I am not up on any cheat items that are out there. Please share.
    My plan is stewed meatballs. I already make a good shredded chicken stew (using 1/2 canned diced tomatoes). So with the meatballs I would probably bake them so they are fully cooked and then put them in a pot with the tomatoes, spices, and a little water and let them hang out and absorb the yumminess.

R5P3
    At Goal!!

R/P/M
    P2/D8
    I'll add my recipe: This is a "two-fer" recipe for both meatballs and stuffed cabbage with smoky paprika - made concurrently to save time, though you could just make one or the other.. *Please note*: that the cabbage was my vegetable, but I'm not sure if it's a cheat because I mixed tomatoes with cabbage. But dang, it was sooo awesome. Feel free to let me know if this is a big no-no.

So I took a package of ground buffalo and mixed it with:

Granulated Garlic - two tablespoons.
    Sea Salt - one tablespoon.
    Pepper - several grinds.
    Capers - two teaspoons (may be off protocal but minimal over 5 meals)
    italian seasoning
    Smoky Paprika - *to be added to remaining meat after meatballs have been made*, used for russian cabbage rolls.

Step one: Roll four 50g balls, set aside.

Step two: Add 3+ tablespoons Paprika to meat, mix in. Roll remaining meat into 100g logs. Roll logs into pickled cabbage made for rolls or fresh cabbage.

Sauce:
    One can diced tomatoes - no sugar.
    One can tomato sauce - no sugar.
    Rosemary, capers, salt & Pepper.

Sautee meatballs turning so all sides get browned, set aside and drain fat from pan, wipe clean.

Sautee garlic and a tiny bit of chopped onion (optional and may be off protocol) with rosemary, garlic granules, caper, and pepper. Cook down 5 min, spoon half mixture into a bowl, mix in paprika - 2-4 tablespoons. Pour over cabbage. Bake in oven for about 45 min at around 400. Loaf pan works great.
    Put meatballs into remaining sauce in pan, add a few roma tomatoes, cover and simmer.

Portions:
    A. two meatballs 2-3 romas (eaten as your veg option).
    B. one cabbage roll, add more cabbage as veg.

However, from what i've read you can't eat buffalo twice in one day, so I eat fish or chicken for the other meal.

R/P/M
    Lifetime Maintenance with the Mind:Body Method
    Blog Entries
    These are the BEST prepackaged tomatoes out there. The ingredients are simply: tomatoes. 20 calories per 1/2 cup serving. I normally use 2 servings for one meal.

POMI CHOPPED TOMATOES

Started my HCG journey on March 16, 2011

Just for the record, no part of this journey is for the weak.

My doctor said canned tomatoes were fine but that I needed to rinse them first to rid them of the preservatives!