Popular Pages

Thread: P2 -- Ideas on frozen crab legs and lobster tails?

R/P/M
    R1 / Maintenance

P2 -- Ideas on frozen crab legs and lobster tails?

Anyone have any thoughts on how best to cook frozen crab legs and lobster tails? Also, since melted butter would be a huge no-no, do you eat them plain or perhaps with ACV?

Thanks!

Dave

P3 LDW on 10/29/11-- 200.6

R/P/M
    R1/P2/drops
    I was actually wondering this myself last night as I was wondering the isle of Walmart trying to find something different that I could eat. In the seafood section of walmart they have packages of crap meat that are NOT frozen. I believe they are cooked....I didnt look. I believe they are just heat and eat but sounds good to me. I have ALMOST gotten used to not eating butter but ohhhhhh I love it so and didnt realize how much I used it before.

What is ACV?

R/P/M
    R2/P2/hHCG
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on how best to cook frozen crab legs and lobster tails? Also, since melted butter would be a huge no-no, do you eat them plain or perhaps with ACV?

Thanks!

Dave
    Crab legs: let thaw out overnight and then wrap in wet paper towels and microwave 3-4 minutes until done. This is how I've always made crab legs (a suggestion from a famous chef, I can't remember and people are impressed! Season with lemon juice and garlic or seafood seasoning, like Old Bay. Lobster: broil for a couple minutes in the oven with lemon juice and garlic and/or seafood seasoning. I like the top to get a little brown which is why I prefer the broiler instead of steaming.

GOOD LUCK!!!

R/P/M
    R1, P2, drops
    I cannot wait to try your microwave recipe.

However, crab is my favorite food in the world. During "normal" financial times I would eat it 4-5 times per month. These times, about half as often, but while on the HCG diet, I am eating small portions twice a week. In fact, I had it yesterday and will have the other half today.

Crab is my favorite food. On this diet I am eating it twice per week. Here is my entire process for crab:

1. Buying crab
    Look for crab that has all its legs and claws.

Avoid claws that are open.

Make sure the crab has good color. Specifically, avoid discolored crab; crab that looks like it is dirty.

Avoid crab with holes or black marks that look like some kind of rot. Part of these crabs will inevitably be bad.

Avoid crab where the body (center part of the cluster) looks gray or dirty. You won't want to eat it if it is, which becomes wasted weight purchase.

If a crab is missing a small leg, that is fine. Means you are not paying for the mostly-shell part.

If a crab is "previously frozen" use it within 3-4 of days, max.

Always smell the crab before you purchase. If it smells highly fishy - especially if there is even a hint of ammonia - look for another crab.
    (Some places use ammonia to kill the fishy smell. What are they hiding?")

Bigger, more expensive crab is usually cheaper. For example, last weekend I purchased large snow crab for $10.99@lb. Half a cluster was about 20 oz. Yesterday I purchased smaller snow crab for $7.95 per lb. Again, I got 20 oz. The more expensive/larger crab probably had about 40% more meat per lb making it the far cheaper deal! Besides, it is less work.

Cooking/Heating Crab
    First, you do not have to cook it at all because it is already cooked. That is how it got its orange color.

I like it steamed. So simple. Get a big pot with a steamer basket. Put in a little water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Put in the crab until it is warm-to-hot to the touch. Depending upon the degree which it is frozen and the amount of crab, this will take from 14-25 minutes.

If you do not have a steamer basket, just put something in the bottom of the pot to prevent the crab from being immersed in the water. An inverted bowl will work or even a small, expandable vegetable steamer.

Eating the crab
    Yes, there is a specific way to do this. LOL - You should see me eat crab. Once I was in a buffet here in Reno with my family. All the kids know how to get crab meat from a leg or claw most effectively. After about 20-30 minutes of the crab shells flying, a nice old lady comes over from a nearby table and says, "Could one of you boys show my husband how to get the meet out like you guys do? He is so frustrated."

Our guys decimate a crab in just a few minutes and the meat of the legs and claws comes out in one piece (most of the time). So, that is how one of our kids wound up giving crab-eating lessons. LOL

Rules
    When breaking a joint always break it AGAINST the joint. Think of breaking someone's elbow. There is one single, most effective way to do this. Same thing with a crab.

Take a leg. Start with the smallest piece and break it against the joint. There is a cartilage attached to the small piece you just broke. Holding the small piece, carefully pull the cartilage out of the larger piece. In the smaller leg pieces, the meat may be attached to the cartilage, You can simply eat that by sliding the meat off the cartilage with your teeth.

As you move up the leg, you repeat the process. When you get to the large part of the leg, detach it from the body by breaking the joint above it. Holding that big leg piece in 2 hands, break it in the center. Simply snap it as you would a pencil.

Notice that at no point have I mentioned crab crackers. Except with King Crab, Jonas or Stone Crab, you rarely need crackers.

Claws are different
    The claw of the snow crab is a little different. If it is large, you may need a cracker. Here is how you do the claw:

First, break the "finger" (that is the up-down, kind of index-looking part of the claw). Do this "against the joint" by pulling it upward. Then pull the finger out. You should see a large, flat cartilage. Meat may or may not come with the cartilage. If it does come with it, just eat the meat by scraping it off the cartilage with your teeth.

The reason we remove the cartilage completely is because everything else inside is pure meat - no shell, no cartilage. To get inside the rest of the claw, you might need a cracker. Look for the whole where the finger was removed from. Put the cracker around that and just lightly break it. Do not smash it! You just need to crack it.

Once you get it open you will find that the meat inside will be in two pieces. Depending upon the size of the crab that might be one bite or, in the case of King crab, several.

BTW, the meat found in the "other finger" is very sweet and fleshy. For many people it is their favorite part of the crab.

The Body
    No, not talking about Jesse Ventura.

I am talking about that center part of the crab that many people just throw away. Don't do that! It's really good to eat! There is a significant amount of meat in there and it is pretty darn good.

First, make sure that the organs are not present - that is, anything that has color - should be removed. You might have to run some warm water over the body to clean it out. (The liver is yellow or green and can be very unpleasant to some, while other people actually enjoy eating it. There is just no accounting for taste, I guess.)

Note: With some types of crab, such as Dungeoness, this is done when you take the "lid" off. By "lid" I mean the top of the shell. Some people call that the hat.

What you have left is this center with little compartments made of a light cartilage-like material. You will find that the cartilage is easily separated with one's fingers. Once you get inside, just dig it out with your finger - don't try using a fork - it just won't work. Hey, this really is finger food at its best.

crab Butter
    No, we're not dipping our crab in butter.

As you eat this crab you will sometimes notice a fatty-looking, white or yellow substance stuck to things. This is the crab's version of fat and is very high in cholesterol and calories. Some people actually use this stuff to make a sauce. I suggest that you avoid it, especially as a diet-conscious person.

I hope this improves your enjoyment of eating crab.

Dave
    PS: My wife, Beth, and I are doing the HCG diet together. You can read our journal on this great forum here:
    http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums...ccesses-41783/

R/P/M
    R1 / Maintenance
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsgal View Post
    Crab legs: let thaw out overnight and then wrap in wet paper towels and microwave 3-4 minutes until done. This is how I've always made crab legs (a suggestion from a famous chef, I can't remember and people are impressed! Season with lemon juice and garlic or seafood seasoning, like Old Bay. Lobster: broil for a couple minutes in the oven with lemon juice and garlic and/or seafood seasoning. I like the top to get a little brown which is why I prefer the broiler instead of steaming.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Thanks, I'll try that!

Renney -- ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar

R/P/M
    R1 / Maintenance
    Awesome, thanks Dave!!!!

I will definitely use your advice this weekend!!

Dave

R/P/M
    R2/P2/hHCG
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that!

Renney -- ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar
    OH, I forgot a step! After you wrap in wet paper towels, THEN wrap with saran wrap to keep the paper towel on. This creates a steam effect, using the microwave

R/P/M
    R1, P2, drops
    Dang! I had crab tonight and forgot to try this! Oh well. Next week.