Popular Pages :

Thread: Swim fins in hand, snorkle in my pus, thong firmly wedged...I took the plunge

Start where you are. alcoholswab's Avatar
    R/P/M
    Life Beyond Phases!
    Blog Entries

Swim fins in hand, snorkle in my pus, thong firmly wedged...I took the plunge

Forgive the length of this document. I am usually the last person to share with anyone, since I'm a ridiculously private person, but the stories on this site have really touched me.

In my work I ravenously go to war for the rights of individuals with disabilities everyday. This sort of job, with its long hours, foolishly high stressors that linger hours after the day is done, erratic schedule, lack of breaks, and propensity to have me either driving or piloting a desk have not done any favours for my weight.

I drew a line in the sand and refocused some of that focus on myself just over a year ago.

My wife and I started with our diet, since we figured that it mattered little how much activity we were getting, if we were continuing to shove thousands of empty calories down our gaping maws each day. The process was slow, but at each step we eventually saw benefit, though the sheer volume of mistakes we have made are giggle worthy even now.

I started to see the benefits of eating healthier. My weight was lower (as of February 4, 2011 I was 344.5 pounds and really don't want to know how high it had gotten before I started to address some of my health concerns), my energy was up and I had a healthy shiny coat and outlook for the future.

Suddenly I found myself in my doctor's office begging for a full range of tests, booking appointments with nutritionists, physical therapists (I am too stupid to start slow and then go faster, for some reason I cannot comprehend I decide to go from 0 to 150 every single time...so many lessons in humility I am being given) and others to give myself the best chance of being successful. Grains of sand cascaded down my shoulder as I ripped my pate from the sand it had been firmly planted in for far too long.

The weight was coming off at a slow rate, prompting an endless stream of people presenting me with the best way to lose more in a faster manner. I listened patiently, but unless I could adopt it into my system I left it warming the bench.

Two things have affected my drive:

1) I got a call from a surgeon who is offering to work with me, after being denied by many many surgeons, for a chronic health concern I have been battling for over a decade. He wanted a BMI of 35 to talk to me and then a BMI of 30 before he would do the surgery.
    2) I hit a plateau for over 2 weeks.

Suddenly I was weighing myself and refocusing on numbers, which was something I was not into previously. Before I would just sell it as a way to be healthy, sure it might not be the most effective thing for weight loss, but I figured that any movement was better than none.

I started to listen to some of the stories I had been given and one story resonated deeper than the others, because it was from a client with no agenda other than caring for me. She had lost a great deal of weight years before and kept it off.

I had to learn more.

Skepticism firmly in hand, and my jaundiced eye ready to pick apart anything that was said, I met with a naturopath who introduced me to hCG. With that much weight to lose I really did not have many options, especially considering the amount of pain I am in every day, so I took the plunge and my lord the water is cold.

There is nothing more important to me than the stories I have read here. It is so nice to feel the embrace of strangers when you are feeling cold, cranky and alone.

Thank you so much everyone, you will never know how much I appreciate it.

An Awesome Looooseeeer!
    R/P/M
    R1P2 SL 150UI/day = 18 x2
    alchoholswab- You are beautiful!!! Thank you for your stories. I have just read 3 of them. 2 on "Belly up" and this one. We need to hear others stories sometimes just to know that we are not alone in our struggles. My husband and I are doing this together also. God Bless you! Keep up the good work and best of luck to you and your wife on the rest of your journey. I am rooting for you!

R/P/M
    Life Beyond Phases!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fbb63 View Post
    alchoholswab- You are beautiful!!! Thank you for your stories. I have just read 3 of them. 2 on "Belly up" and this one. We need to hear others stories sometimes just to know that we are not alone in our struggles. My husband and I are doing this together also. God Bless you! Keep up the good work and best of luck to you and your wife on the rest of your journey. I am rooting for you!
    That means so much to me fbb63. I really appreciate your kind words.

Do you have something akin to that story, or something showing your progress that I could read?

R/P/M
    Life Beyond Phases!
    Blog Entries
    Fielding a question I got regarding how I lost over 30 pounds pre-hCG....

My wife and I were trying to come up with our best means of reducing the amount of fast food that we were ingesting. We considered a few diets, but figured that our best bet would be to modify our behaviour rather than worrying about what we were eating. We started by ensuring that we had a number of snack-type items (not really caring much how healthy they were) in the house, so we would ensure that we would be eating at home, rather than eating out. We started eating at home more, which was followed closely by us slowly replacing poor food choices with better food choices.

Since we had so much extra cash (who knew that not paying the exorbitant fast food costs would save us so much), we started to reward ourselves with a DVD a week as long as we did not eat out. Since our food at home was getting healthier by degrees, and we were now used to eating at home, we were eating better. A constant dialogue was going on to identify what we were craving (e.g. "You don't want that, you're just craving salt"), which had us patting each other on the back for all the good choices we were making.

A neat side product was that eating better meant that we were less ravenous after work, which gave us more time to make food, rather than just having our sugars crashing and suddenly being willing to eat whatever was in front of us.

We asked ourselves what our best direction would be, and seeing as how every vegetarian we know is the size of a pencil we used that as our guiding light.

That has lead to this, which is what we were eating before I started hCG and yes for those looking at this and thinking we're crazy, I would have totally agreed with you before the start of this:

Quote Originally Posted by alcoholswab View Post
    Snack (within 1 hour of waking)
    - Handful of mixed nuts (unsalted almonds, peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds)

Breakfast
    - Vitamins: 1 tab Vitamin B50 Complex (Jamieson), 2 tabs Vitamin D (Jamieson 1000 international units), 1 tab Multivitamin (Multisure for Men), 2 tabs Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil (Webber Naturals 1000mg)
    - Drink (2 cups): Green Tea (Tetley Naturally Decaffeinated)
    - Cereal (2 cups): Shredded Wheat & Bran (Post Spoon Sized), Almond Milk (Blue Diamond Original)
    - Shake (2 cups): Almond Milk (Blue Diamond Original), 10g Whey Protein Powder (Ultimate High Alpha), 2/3 tablespoon Spirulina Powder (Organika Blue-Green Algae), 2/3 teaspoon Flax Oil (Barleans Omega Swirl), 2/3 cup Frozen Berries (Compliments Field Berry Blend or Paradise Trio), 1/3 cup Balkan Style Yogurt (Astro)

Snack (to ensure that I eat something every 4 hours)

Lunch
    - Salad (2 cups): Assorted greens
    - Dressing: 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Bertolli), 3/4 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar (Bertolli), dash Ground Black Pepper
    - 60grams Tuna (Cloverleaf Flaked White Tuna in Water) or 3 Egg Whites (boiled)
    - Wasa/Rvita Cracker with 3 tablespoons Almond Butter (Nuts to You Butter Inc.)

Snack (to ensure that I eat something every 4 hours)
    - Fruit or Wasa/Rvita Cracker with 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter (Kraft Smooth)
    - 2 cups Almond Milk (Blue Diamond Original)

Dinner
    Examples: Minestrone Soup, Stuffed Peppers/Zucchini, Vegetarian Chili, Roasted Red Pepper Sauce for Whole Wheat Spaghetti (packaged), Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Vegetable Paella, Asparagus Soup, Vegetable Spring Rolls, Lentil Sheppard's Pie, Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas, Asparagus Stuffed Ravioli

Snack (3 hours before bed)

* Goal is to imbibe 3 litres of water throughout the day via sipping rather than gulping to play catch up when I'm behind
    Some notes:
    - Tuna is about to go bye bye due to all the mercury issues that have been reported.
    - My wife calls milk "cow mucous" so we moved away from it to soy, but seeing as how there's issues with soy estrogen we moved to almond milk.
    - We want to have a big breakfast, a normal-sized lunch and a smaller dinner.
    - I am an absolute bread fiend so I tossed my toaster to restrict the amount of bread I eat.
    - Finding out that our plates now were once considered platters, we tossed all of our bowl and plates and replaced them with bowls that hold up to 2 cups of liquid. This has been AMAZING for portion control.
    - My goal is to do 45 minutes of something physical each day. This consists mainly of walking, since anytime I up my game I seem to put myself out of commission for a longer period either with sore and tender calfs, angina (let's do nothing and then do stairs like a moron), or some other thing that I'm embarrassed to admit : )

R/P/M
    R2/P2/SUBQ
    Amazing story! I didnt know you and your wife were doing this together that makes it alot easier! I cant wait to see how you two progress I am finding even though i have only lost a few pounds this is life changing and not only are we changing our bodies but we also are changing our habits and the way we think. I notice so much of my eating was not that I was hungry I just felt I should be eating. If we watch a movie we NEED our popcorn and all of our snacks junior mints licorice gummy bears...And I do not understand why I feel I need to feed my face during the whole movie! Crazy what we do to ourselves!!

R/P/M
    Life Beyond Phases!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpios View Post
    Amazing story! I didnt know you and your wife were doing this together that makes it alot easier! I cant wait to see how you two progress I am finding even though i have only lost a few pounds this is life changing and not only are we changing our bodies but we also are changing our habits and the way we think. I notice so much of my eating was not that I was hungry I just felt I should be eating. If we watch a movie we NEED our popcorn and all of our snacks junior mints licorice gummy bears...And I do not understand why I feel I need to feed my face during the whole movie! Crazy what we do to ourselves!!
    Oops, my wife and I did what we are calling phase 1 together, though we had not heard about hCG at that time. I realize that all of what we had done then was crucial for me being able to move into such a boring and strict diet now. Having breakfast that consists of milk that has all the taste of water-soaked cardboard on plain shredded wheat, with green tea and a shake that tastes like death, really makes it easier to accept food that is only spiced by pepper.

She is going through the hCG diet as a support and admits that not only does she imagine that she would not have the willpower to do it, but she is in awe of all of the people on the site that are going through it. Trust me that she is going through it though, since she has to deal with my cranky ***

Totally true about the habits, even after so long of eating better I still start walking to get popcorn every time I go to the theatre.

The hardest part of the food part of this diet is the meat. I have cut most of meat out of my life, though just lately I added in tuna and egg whites since protein is so hard to get on a vegetarian diet. I try not to think of it, but ewww.

As an aside, to all the people I rolled my eyes at that were eating "twigs and berries", or "food my food eats", uhm...well...(toes ground)....oops!