Popular Pages :


Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Thyroid lab results - not sure how to interpret

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Gold Country, CA
    R/P/M
    R5 P3 hhcg Pellets
    Posts
    880

    Thyroid lab results - not sure how to interpret

    Hi there,

    Got a new doctor a few months ago and he agreed to do a full work up on blood work. Here are my results for my thyroid.

    T3 Free 2.3 range 2.3-4.2
    T4 Free 1.8 range 0.8-1.8
    TSH 0.02 range 0.40-4.50 (He insisted on this one, not my idea)
    Thyroid Antibodies 2 range <9

    So, he said he wants to drop my synthroid dose from 1.5 to 1.37 because my TSH is so low. Me - but isn't TSH produced by the pituitary? Him - yes, but that doesn't matter and it affects other organs too... ???

    I have been told that I have Hashimoto's for the last 40 years, but from the antibody reading, it looks like maybe not. I'm not sure. Also, I find it odd that the T3 Free is right at the bottom of the range and the T4 Free is right at the very top. Seems a bit skewed to me, but I'm not an expert. Hoping to get some advice here. I go back in 4 weeks for a re-test.

    FWIW: My last hcg round ended Oct 11, 2017, so I don't think that's a factor at all.

    Thanks in advance for any comments!

    2016 SW: 186.2 GW: 115 HT: 5'3"
    Pre-HCG SW: 175
    Fake drops round:158.7 February 2017
    R1 SW: 158.7 LDW: 152.5 March 2017
    R2 SW: 151.3 LDW: 144.0 May 2017
    R3 SW: 135.9 LDW: 130.9 October 2017
    R4 SW: 137.0 LDW: 132.0 March 2018
    R5 SW: 142.6 LDW: 132.1 November 2018
    R6 SW: 144.8 P2D5: 142.0
    LinderLou

  2. #2
    HDI Hcg Diet Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    R/P/M
    P4
    Posts
    3,719
    How do you feel? I think that's more important than what the lab test says.

    However, your FT3 is low so I wouldn't think you'd be feeling that perky. As for Hashi's, there are two types of antibodies and you had only one tested. If your antibodies are above the range for either thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb) or for thyroperoxidase antibodies (TPO Ab) you can be diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Also, the antibodies go up and down so maybe you had high antibodies for years, but the day you were tested, they were low. Mine are in the thousands and routinely swing up and down 500 points in a few months.

    I wouldn't touch Synthroid with a 10-foot pole so I can't advise you on what dose to ask your doctor about, but I don't know why you'd lower it with FT3 so low. Is he concerned you're showing hyper symptoms? Is your heart rate too high? Maybe he'd prescribe some T3 meds in addition to your T4 meds. Is it possible you have high Reverse T3?

    In years past, has your TSH routinely been a good indicator of how you feel or how your FT3 and FT4 look? Mine doesn't so my doctor doesn't even look at it anymore.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Gold Country, CA
    R/P/M
    R5 P3 hhcg Pellets
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmmrr View Post
    How do you feel? I think that's more important than what the lab test says.

    However, your FT3 is low so I wouldn't think you'd be feeling that perky. As for Hashi's, there are two types of antibodies and you had only one tested. If your antibodies are above the range for either thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb) or for thyroperoxidase antibodies (TPO Ab) you can be diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Also, the antibodies go up and down so maybe you had high antibodies for years, but the day you were tested, they were low. Mine are in the thousands and routinely swing up and down 500 points in a few months.

    I wouldn't touch Synthroid with a 10-foot pole so I can't advise you on what dose to ask your doctor about, but I don't know why you'd lower it with FT3 so low. Is he concerned you're showing hyper symptoms? Is your heart rate too high? Maybe he'd prescribe some T3 meds in addition to your T4 meds. Is it possible you have high Reverse T3?

    In years past, has your TSH routinely been a good indicator of how you feel or how your FT3 and FT4 look? Mine doesn't so my doctor doesn't even look at it anymore.
    Thanks Jmmrr. They tested the TPO Ab. I haven't had thorough blood work done in years and my last Dr. flat out REFUSED to test anything other than TSH. I know, I don't want to take synthroid, either, but at least getting him to order the tests was a step forward. I've been at the 150 dose for 10 or 15 years. I feel best when my TSH is between .65 and .8, any higher than that and I can barely get out of bed

    I don't have hyper symptoms on a regular basis. When I was doing hcg in October, I began to suspect that the 150 dose was a bit high, as I had heart palps a couple of times. I fixed that by skipping one pill per week.

    I feel OK, but with regards to energy, I've never had much going there. It's as if I wake feeling more tired than when I went to bed. I could def sleep until noon if anyone would let me. It's my normal energy level after all these years - unfortunately...

    At this point, I'm going to humor the Doc, but if I start feeling bad with even less energy, I will put myself back on the 150 dose. I realize that it takes about a month for a dose change to show on labs, so I'll be sure to wait at least 6 weeks to re-test. If my Free T3 is low now, and it goes lower on a lower dose, at least I'll have something to talk with him about. I'd really like to get on a T3/T4 combo as I have read that so many do so well on it. Baby steps... At least he did what I asked about the extra tests, now I will just have to guide him in the right direction

    Thanks for your help!

    2016 SW: 186.2 GW: 115 HT: 5'3"
    Pre-HCG SW: 175
    Fake drops round:158.7 February 2017
    R1 SW: 158.7 LDW: 152.5 March 2017
    R2 SW: 151.3 LDW: 144.0 May 2017
    R3 SW: 135.9 LDW: 130.9 October 2017
    R4 SW: 137.0 LDW: 132.0 March 2018
    R5 SW: 142.6 LDW: 132.1 November 2018
    R6 SW: 144.8 P2D5: 142.0
    LinderLou

  4. #4
    Super Chief-Ninja Moderator grammy1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Posts
    47,269
    Free T3 is the most important value and you're clearly not converting it right. Your body can't use the T4 at all. Synthroid is the worst of the thyroid drugs to be on too. It has NO T3 so if your body isn't converting it right, you're still not going to feel optimal and your weight will be harder to manage. Naturthroid would be a good option for you if you can talk the doctor into it.

    You really need something with T3 in it because you're not converting it well.
    My expert Hcg Diet advice is based specifically on the original Simeons Protocol. Grammy's personal protocol:Grammy's Hcg Diet Protocol
    Grammy's author website: ColleenCoble.com

    I am not a medical doctor and my statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition. Please always check with your doctor for medical questions and assistance. Medical Disclaimer:

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Gold Country, CA
    R/P/M
    R5 P3 hhcg Pellets
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy1952 View Post
    Free T3 is the most important value and you're clearly not converting it right. Your body can't use the T4 at all. Synthroid is the worst of the thyroid drugs to be on too. It has NO T3 so if your body isn't converting it right, you're still not going to feel optimal and your weight will be harder to manage. Naturthroid would be a good option for you if you can talk the doctor into it.

    You really need something with T3 in it because you're not converting it well.
    Thanks Grammy. That is my sense also.

    To add insult to injury, I got a text from Walmart that my new prescription is ready and is going to cost $56.00 instead of the usual $10.00 for a 90 day supply. Called them and asked why and they gave me a song and dance about how the medicine comes from Puerto Rico and the price went up due to hurricane Maria... WHOT??? That was in September. I got my last refill in November and it was $10... Sounds like fake news to me. Called Rite-Aid and their price is $16, so I will change to them.

    Anyway, I will try his new dose for a while and see how it affects my labs. I fully expect the Free T3 to go down even lower. I will use that evidence to try to convince him to put me on Naturthroid and see how it goes. Oh yes, I know full well that my weight problems are largely due to the dysfunctional thyroid. I don't have a problem with portion control or eating Carbage. I'm so grateful to have found hcg! Oooohhh, that brings up another thing. I was planning to start another round in mid-Feb, but that would have me on hcg when the new labs are drawn. I know it can mess with your cholesterol, but will it mess with Free T3, T4?

    Thanks again for answering.

    2016 SW: 186.2 GW: 115 HT: 5'3"
    Pre-HCG SW: 175
    Fake drops round:158.7 February 2017
    R1 SW: 158.7 LDW: 152.5 March 2017
    R2 SW: 151.3 LDW: 144.0 May 2017
    R3 SW: 135.9 LDW: 130.9 October 2017
    R4 SW: 137.0 LDW: 132.0 March 2018
    R5 SW: 142.6 LDW: 132.1 November 2018
    R6 SW: 144.8 P2D5: 142.0
    LinderLou

  6. #6
    Super Chief-Ninja Moderator grammy1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    R/P/M
    5 rounds, down 78# and at goal
    Posts
    47,269
    Yes it will mess with your thyroid results. Either do before you start or 6 weeks after.
    My expert Hcg Diet advice is based specifically on the original Simeons Protocol. Grammy's personal protocol:Grammy's Hcg Diet Protocol
    Grammy's author website: ColleenCoble.com

    I am not a medical doctor and my statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition. Please always check with your doctor for medical questions and assistance. Medical Disclaimer:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Gold Country, CA
    R/P/M
    R5 P3 hhcg Pellets
    Posts
    880
    I will push out my next appointment to leave at least 6 weeks after. Thank you.

    2016 SW: 186.2 GW: 115 HT: 5'3"
    Pre-HCG SW: 175
    Fake drops round:158.7 February 2017
    R1 SW: 158.7 LDW: 152.5 March 2017
    R2 SW: 151.3 LDW: 144.0 May 2017
    R3 SW: 135.9 LDW: 130.9 October 2017
    R4 SW: 137.0 LDW: 132.0 March 2018
    R5 SW: 142.6 LDW: 132.1 November 2018
    R6 SW: 144.8 P2D5: 142.0
    LinderLou

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    R/P/M
    August 2019/ Round 6
    Posts
    595
    LinderLou: A Dr told me about really good prescription discount company "GoodRx". All pharmacies honor their discount codes. They have an app ...put in the name of the prescription and it tells you how much it would cost your local pharmacies . Doesn't cost anything ...anyone can use them. I don't even bother giving my pharmacy my insurance card anymore because they can't beat GoodRX.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Gold Country, CA
    R/P/M
    R5 P3 hhcg Pellets
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by JessieB View Post
    LinderLou: A Dr told me about really good prescription discount company "GoodRx". All pharmacies honor their discount codes. They have an app ...put in the name of the prescription and it tells you how much it would cost your local pharmacies . Doesn't cost anything ...anyone can use them. I don't even bother giving my pharmacy my insurance card anymore because they can't beat GoodRX.
    Thanks Jessie. I checked them out and they're telling me that Walmart's price is $24 and Rite-Aid is $16. Walmart has always been $10 forever for pretty much any generic drug. Not sure why they said it would be $56... Neither I nor DH take any kind of medication (other than thyroid meds) on a regular basis, so we don't have to shop for drugs much. Good to know however.

    2016 SW: 186.2 GW: 115 HT: 5'3"
    Pre-HCG SW: 175
    Fake drops round:158.7 February 2017
    R1 SW: 158.7 LDW: 152.5 March 2017
    R2 SW: 151.3 LDW: 144.0 May 2017
    R3 SW: 135.9 LDW: 130.9 October 2017
    R4 SW: 137.0 LDW: 132.0 March 2018
    R5 SW: 142.6 LDW: 132.1 November 2018
    R6 SW: 144.8 P2D5: 142.0
    LinderLou

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •