Popular Pages :

Thread: Let's talk about WATER

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries

Let's talk about WATER

The protocol indicates that you should drink 2 litres of water per day during the low calorie phase. This includes your coffee and tea.

It has become a common trend to recommend that people drink a gallon or more aside from their other beverages, as a way to keep losses strong. I think that this is bad advice, and that Dr. Simeons was right in his modest requirement of 2 litres total per day. It is easy to succumb to the idea that if some is good, more is better. But it is not in this case.

Over-hydration stresses the kidneys, and can mess with your electrolyte balance. If you follow this gallon+ water trend and experience dizziness, fatigue, fogginess, heart palpitations, anxiety, you could be over-hydrating. Extreme cases of over-hydration can be dangerous and even fatal. This is known as hyponatremia or "water intoxication".

You may be drinking too much even if you don't have any adverse symptoms. The way you can tell is by checking the color of your urine, which should be a pale yellow. If it is clear, you are drinking too much. The protocol is very balanced, and water consumption is part of that balance. People are always looking for ways to make the protocol work faster/better, and overdoing it on the water seems to be one of the most prevalent. Not forcing yourself to drink tons of extra water will make your P2 more peaceful and enjoyable.

I put the mega water amounts in with apple days, omitting fruits and melbas (gluten sensitive people can sub with appropriate options), and any other non-required further restriction on the protocol in the same category-- unnecessary stressors that punish your body instead of nurturing it as you move through P2. I've spent way too much time during my life punishing my body with insane diets and long-term restricting. Now I want to celebrate its wonderfulness and treat it properly. I hope the thoughts in this post provide some freedom for those that become convinced that they need to do more than the protocol asks.

The following excerpt nicely sums up a reasonable explanation and approach to hydration:

Eight glasses, which is just less than two litres of water, is very roughly the basal water required by a fasting, well adult per day, who is doing nothing at all, with no special losses (such as vomiting or diarrhoea).

In day-to-day life, we usually have additional losses (exercise, or sweating during a hot day), and we receive water from other sources. The obvious ones from our diet such as beverages, and juicy and moist foods, such as fruit and vegetables.

Less obvious is water from the metabolism of food. The conversion of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins to energy in our bodies all produce water.

Rather than focusing on the number of glasses, simply drink fluids when thirsty.
    from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...water-day.html
    If you don't want to be burdened with adding up your coffee/teas and figuring out your total ounces, I do think its perfectly fine to drink the 2 litres water plus that during P2. This post is intended to offer some relief for those that feel pressured to drink a gallon or more a day in addition to regular beverages.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Great useful information!

IN P2, Can we add pure lemon juice to water, at least a tablespoon?

R/P/M
    R6 P2 HCG Inj
    Blog Entries
    I think this is a wise reminder. I drink about 4-5 16 oz water so perhaps slightly higher than recommendation. When i have had too much water it has messed me up with weakness and heart palpitations, My MD told me i had low sodium levels.... and i do use salt... but was drinking too much water i think.
    http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers.html][/url]
    2011 R1 start 206 R2 6/2011 176 R3 03/2013 156 R4 06/29/2014 162.R5 05/09/2015 154.4 R6 2017 148.2 liw 137.6 R7 Start 149.2 LDW 137.2 R8 151.4. LIW 142.8 141.6R9 3/8/20 160.2 liw 144.2 R10 started but not finished Round 10 repeat 1 7/10/21 163.6 Aug 19 LIW147.0

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Good point, rose. Its a good idea for anyone to be using some mineral salt during P2, but especially if drinking more than you would normally. (from thirst, not from habit)

Quote Originally Posted by Ncnightowl View Post
    IN P2, Can we add pure lemon juice to water, at least a tablespoon?
    In P2, you can use all the juice from one lemon throughout the day. So the answer to your question is yes, but be mindful of the daily limit. A lemon usually contains 2-3 T juice. There is no reason you can't choose a big lemon.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Thats good that I can use the lemon, I usually get the lemon juice in a bottle, so if I use 1 tablespoon, or 2 teaspoons a day should be okay? Also, I really like Pelligrino sparkling water, not the the flavored just the plain water, is it okay in P2?pelligrino.jpg

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    You could use 2-3 T. bottled lemon juice per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pounds & Inches
    Tea, coffee, plain water, or mineral water are the only drinks allowed, but they may be taken in any quantity and at
    all times.
    If its a mineral water yes. The carbonation occurs naturally from dissolved salts and sulfur compounds. If its just carbonated, no. I think the problem with that is added sodium.

THe ingredients say carbonated mineral water so I dont think I can have it in P2. BTW, I have noticed that I am urinating more, even with drinking moderate water amounts, is that normal?

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    San Pellegrino does carbonate its mineral water. But Perrier is naturally carbonated. That would be on plan.

R/P/M
    Started Round 1 January, 2020 WILL BE Injections, once received
    Blog Entries
    LEEZ, thanks for advice about water. I've tried before to drink a gallon of water in a day, and frankly I am miserable when I do. With that much water, getting in car to go someplace is painful and stressfull. Worried if you'll get there without the urge to stop and pee someplace. And waking up all night to go potty. Hated that! Thanks for the posting!

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Yes! Isn't it more peaceful to just judge if you are getting enough water by your urine color?

It seems like we are always trying to make new rules that make things unnecessarily harder than they have to be.