Popular Pages :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Calories Too Soon? How’s My P3?

Too Many Calories Too Soon? How’s My P3?

Yesterday was P3D1.

Background: I just lost 21.8 pounds from 165.3lbs post-loading to 143.5lbs LIW in P2. I’m 5’3”. Long round, 45 days (including weekly skip days and 1 TOM skip days). I ended 2 days earlier than planned due to TOM came 2 days early at the end of my round. I started doing 3-4 days of rigorous hiking the last 3 weeks of P2 in addition to 2-3 hours of yard work per week, lawn mowing, edging, weeding, etc.. I had excessive energy.

So, I upped my calories tremendously in P3, but I also exercised alot yesterday, which I really enjoy. I rollerbladed 11 miles after work yesterday, burned a lot of calories. Today, P3D2 my weight is the same as yesterday and only +0.2 above LIW. Today is also the last day of TOM.

Yesterday I ATE!
    Breakfast:
    3 eggs cooked in butter over 5oz of arugula, spinach, kale (my super greens).
    Coffee with 2tbs HWC
    Lunch:
    4oz ribeye cooked in butter over 5oz of arugula, spinach, kale (my super greens) and 2 oz mushroom cooked in butter with a serving of Marie’s Blue Cheese dressing. And 1tbsp Justin’s Almond Butter.
    Dinner:
    6oz Coho salmon w/crispy skin on cooked in butter over 2 of arugula and 2 oz mushroom cooked in butter. And 1tbsp Justin’s Almond Butter.

I felt satisfied yesterday and probably could have eaten more. I always ate my “super greens blend” every day 4-5oz per meal in P2 so I was used to the volume of the salad with my lemon juice.

It’s really important for me to be able to really eat and I think the point of this diet? Especially for me since I’m a major food restricter and have a history of an eating disorder, long time ago. The doctor at my clinic wants me to limit calories to 1250 and continue to lose on a keto or clean eating plan. I like the diet and caloric intake that I did yesterday. It was about 1800 calories, but a lot of exercise factored in, about 600 calories worth. Yesterday my plan was to get to a net of 1200 calories and then ramp up to 1500-1700 calories net by P3D3. I want to stabilize more than anything because I’m tired of having a BMR of 1100. (tested in the past) I also want to do another round of HCG and lose 15 more pounds. What do you guys think about my plan and the calorie intake? Should I up it on the days I workout to keep it around 1850 net calories in P3 as I continue to workout 3-4 times per week? This is what the American Cancer Society calorie calculator came up with. I have a small frame too. Thank you for your input. I know this was long.

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries
    Yes! You want to maintain your new weight while eating enough. P3 is your opportunity to establish your new metabolic rate that HCG has given you following your P2. We enter P3 in a fat-burning mode, and you must eat enough to keep those fires burning going forward.

It sounds like you are doing great. So many people are afraid to eat enough when they enter P3. It is not a mistake to eat a menu like yours the first day of P3 if it matches your hunger levels. (You don't want to be force feeding to get there.) But don't be afraid to branch out with other vegetables and remember that fruit is fine in P3. You just have to find your best amount. Most people do fine continuing 2 fruits as in P2, only with more variety.

A word of caution: Keto is fine to do for a while to fix various problems, but women can get in to trouble doing it long term, as your thyroid and adrenals need healthy carbs like the orange vegetables and fruit to function properly. Something to consider as you work with your doctor.

As for how many calories to increase, try to let your hunger and satisfaction levels guide you and see where you land. You can then adjust from there as you go forward. For someone active and muscular, it would not be at all out of line to be needing calories in the 2000-3000 range. So you may be able to push it above 1850 even though you are small. But if you find that is adequate for you and you are not feeling deprived, 1850 net may end up being a good target. Its all individual in how your body processes what you feed it.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

R/P/M
    Started Round 1 January, 2020 WILL BE Injections, once received
    Blog Entries
    Slimkins, Leez is the absolute best for feedback. When I went to p3 after my first round I followed her advice and immediately upped my calorie intake, largely with additional protein portions and added fats. I was afraid when I wasn 't on p2 that more calories would cause gains, but if you stay off sugar and starches the fats will not affect weight. I stayed within my 2 lb window, actually never went over. And I would eat sausage or bacon for breakfast--egg once in a while (don't really like eggs), but sometimes sausage and bacon both for breakfast. Generally tho, just the 3 sausage patties and coffee with cream. I ate quite a bit of tuna salad with onions, celery, sugar free pickle relish, and real Duke's mayo (no sugar mayo) for lunches. Protein drinks with strawberries or blueberries with a couple tablespoons of real cream added for richness, Slaw made with my own slaw/mayo style dressing, salads with real dressing, celery with sugar free pnut butter--chicken and fish still, but with some porkrinds crushed and air fryed (so good). I didn't worry about calories, and did what Leez suggested, eating to full or just under, satisfied. She advised, don't stuff yourself, but don't be afraid to eat either. You are much more active than I am--I know I averaged from 1500,1600 calories a day up to 1800 calories a day. And was able to stablize really well, I was-frankly skeptical at first, but pleasantly surprised. I think your doc might be steering you wrong suggesting you try to stay around 1200-1250 calories? That is dieting, and in p3, you want to maintain, get your metabolism moving to eat normally. I loved P3 eating.

R/P/M
    R6/P2/IM injections
    Leez is right. I usually eat 2,000 or more calories in P3. I don’t agree with your doctor. Your menu looks good. Eat more if you’re still hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Leez View Post
    Yes! You want to maintain your new weight while eating enough. P3 is your opportunity to establish your new metabolic rate that HCG has given you following your P2. We enter P3 in a fat-burning mode, and you must eat enough to keep those fires burning going forward.

It sounds like you are doing great. So many people are afraid to eat enough when they enter P3. It is not a mistake to eat a menu like yours the first day of P3 if it matches your hunger levels. (You don't want to be force feeding to get there.) But don't be afraid to branch out with other vegetables and remember that fruit is fine in P3. You just have to find your best amount. Most people do fine continuing 2 fruits as in P2, only with more variety.

A word of caution: Keto is fine to do for a while to fix various problems, but women can get in to trouble doing it long term, as your thyroid and adrenals need healthy carbs like the orange vegetables and fruit to function properly. Something to consider as you work with your doctor.

As for how many calories to increase, try to let your hunger and satisfaction levels guide you and see where you land. You can then adjust from there as you go forward. For someone active and muscular, it would not be at all out of line to be needing calories in the 2000-3000 range. So you may be able to push it above 1850 even though you are small. But if you find that is adequate for you and you are not feeling deprived, 1850 net may end up being a good target. Its all individual in how your body processes what you feed it.
    Thank you so much @Leez! I really appreciate your feedback. Can you expound a little on when it is good to do Keto? I feel like the P3 diet looks fairly keto'ish. Mine does right now and it doesn't worry me too much since from what I've read here on the forums, fat, protein, and veggies rule in P3. I think? However, I will add back fruit since reading your response. Will probably start with some low glycemic this weekend and work from there balancing my calories and fruit so that I stabilize at 143.5. I do love fruit and enjoyed two apples a day in P2 every day along with my 2 breadsticks and I don't want to end up going Keto, I love the food, but I feel restricted on Keto like one bad carb/starch intake and the diet is shot and I'm really trying to get away from that kind of restrictive eating. I'm excited to see how P3 plays out and I'm beyond thrilled to think that I might be able to eat all of these healthy and delicious foods.

Right now I just finished lunch, butter pan-fried ribeye (5oz) and mushrooms over arugula and radicchio salad tossed with blue cheese dressing. Putting my fork down before my plate is clean, because I feel satisfied. Thanks for the advice, I'm a compulsive food weigher and calorie counter. Breakfast was Small steak and eggs with arugula salad with coffee and HWC. As soon as I get home this weekend, I'm away from home at the moment, I will incorporate different veggies and experiment with some fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbles View Post
    Slimkins, Leez is the absolute best for feedback. When I went to p3 after my first round I followed her advice and immediately upped my calorie intake, largely with additional protein portions and added fats. I was afraid when I wasn 't on p2 that more calories would cause gains, but if you stay off sugar and starches the fats will not affect weight. I stayed within my 2 lb window, actually never went over. And I would eat sausage or bacon for breakfast--egg once in a while (don't really like eggs), but sometimes sausage and bacon both for breakfast. Generally tho, just the 3 sausage patties and coffee with cream. I ate quite a bit of tuna salad with onions, celery, sugar free pickle relish, and real Duke's mayo (no sugar mayo) for lunches. Protein drinks with strawberries or blueberries with a couple tablespoons of real cream added for richness, Slaw made with my own slaw/mayo style dressing, salads with real dressing, celery with sugar free pnut butter--chicken and fish still, but with some porkrinds crushed and air fryed (so good). I didn't worry about calories, and did what Leez suggested, eating to full or just under, satisfied. She advised, don't stuff yourself, but don't be afraid to eat either. You are much more active than I am--I know I averaged from 1500,1600 calories a day up to 1800 calories a day. And was able to stablize really well, I was-frankly skeptical at first, but pleasantly surprised. I think your doc might be steering you wrong suggesting you try to stay around 1200-1250 calories? That is dieting, and in p3, you want to maintain, get your metabolism moving to eat normally. I loved P3 eating.
    Thanks @Dubbles! I'm glad I decided to get some feedback on my strategy and I appreciate yours and Leez' feedback a great deal. Sounds like you did a lot of what I'm doing. Did your P3 stay like a keto diet or did you add fruit? If yes, when and how did you start incorporating the fruit? I'm gonna go for another skate today, I feel energized. And thank you again for sharing!

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries
    Keto was actually developed as a strategy to treat epilepsy. Since then it has been found useful for other conditions too. And of course its the latest greatest weightloss method. It can be helpful for some people to do it for a short time to clear the sugar out of your system after a big carb binge. But as a long term strategy, it can be problematic. Any time whole food groups are eliminated long term it should send up a warning flag.

Eating your two fruits in P2 is usually enough to keep you out of ketosis, and so its good to continue that in P3 for that reason. Neither P2 or P3 is about ketosis (utilizing ketones for fat burning) and ketosis is not required for HCG to work optimally. P3 is about setting up your metabolism to work normally going forward. Does that mean you will eventually be eating a carb heavy menu? No....after P3, you will introduce some starchy vegetables and possibly some whole grains at some point in P4 and see how you do with them, and in what quantity and frequency you can eat them and still maintain. But I don't believe it is desirable or even beneficial to plan to live the rest of your life without them.

Starting with some berries and other low glycemic fruits is an ok way to approach it, but you don't have to ease into it. You can even eat the sweeter fruits like banana and mango....you just have to be mindful of portions on those. The one guideline Dr. Simeons gives us is that he said when starches and fats are combined, things can quickly get out of hand. So when you eventually do have starches or sugar, try to have them at a low fat meal to avoid the problem warned about. To apply that to P3 should you find you are having trouble, you can keep your fruits paired with protein rather than fat.

...I don't want to end up going Keto, I love the food, but I feel restricted on Keto like one bad carb/starch intake and the diet is shot and I'm really trying to get away from that kind of restrictive eating.
    I totally agree with the sentiment. Remember that you said this ^. Keto sets you up for that "all or nothing" mindset. I call it the keto trap.....trap because, as you say, one starchy choice and your body reacts by piling on the pounds as it retains water needed to process the starchy carbs. It is usually a big enough gain to thoroughly freak you out to the point where you are afraid to try that again with any hope you can recover from it.

The only restrictions in P3 are starch and added sugar. You can eat freely of everything else. The key is eating when you are hungry, and eating to your satisfaction point and stopping before you get to full. Those signals are more easily discerned in P3 because you have spent a number of weeks on a kind of elimination diet. That means that the drugging effects of sugar and of processed food chemicals are not masking or perverting those signals now. Its your best chance to tune in and figure out how to eat like a naturally thin person.

Your lunch sounds delish.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Hi @Leez. I'm +2.1 over LIW this morning. I don't know what possessed me to buy one of these yesterday, https://www.questnutrition.com/colle...nut-butter-box but I did and I ate it. Not the entire box, I ate one package of 2 cups. Between that Quest candy, 2000 calories, dairy, eggs, Lawry's garlic salt, and blueberries and strawberries I'm really not sure which of these did me in. I ate just over 2000 calories, exercised and netted about 1800. My legs are feeling very sore after 2 days of leg workouts, which could be retaining water. Needless to say, the candy was a mistake, it has sucralose and erythritol and other ingredients that I likely should not have eaten. Too many factors for me to know for certain what caused this 2.1 pound gain. You probably have some ideas.

I'm doing a steak day today, darn it already. Feeling a bit down about it, but jumping back on the wagon. Taking your advice on the forums with coffee and HWC today and a huge steak cooked in butter along with an apple for supper. Stevia okay in my coffee today? I read somewhere where you had advised a steak day and subsequently to focus on proteins, fats, and vegetables adding dairy, eggs, and nuts one at a time to see if there is a problem with each. Feels like I am starting P3 over, just not head first. Still going to keep my calories at 1800. Please advise? Thank you in advance.

Also, as a note, I am drinking about 80oz of water per day, usually like to get in 120, but it's been low this week while out of town.

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimkins View Post
    Thanks @Dubbles! I'm glad I decided to get some feedback on my strategy and I appreciate yours and Leez' feedback a great deal. Sounds like you did a lot of what I'm doing. Did your P3 stay like a keto diet or did you add fruit? If yes, when and how did you start incorporating the fruit? I'm gonna go for another skate today, I feel energized. And thank you again for sharing!
    I used fruit from the get-go Slimkins. I love the Premier protein strawberry shake with 5/6 added strawberries and heavy cream--not a lot of cream, couple of tablespoons, makes it really rich, with ice in the Vitamix and a delicious meal replacement or if needed for substantial snack. I usually used for replacement, as it has 30 grams of protein. I added blueberries too. Or had the baked apple.

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimkins View Post
    I used fruit from the get-go Slimkins. I love the Premier protein strawberry shake with 5/6 added strawberries and heavy cream--not a lot of cream, couple of tablespoons, makes it really rich, with ice in the Vitamix and a delicious meal replacement or if needed for substantial snack. I usually used for replacement, as it has 30 grams of protein. I added blueberries too. Or had the baked apple.

Thanks @Dubbles for the idea. I've had Premier products in the past and like them as well as QUEST protein. I'm going to continue having fruit, just not the sweet cheat I had yesterday that likely contributed to my 2.1 lb gain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast