Popular Pages :

Thread: Preparing for P3: Clarifying the rules and approach

Preparing for P3: Clarifying the rules and approach

Hi all, I am wrapping up my first P2 round. For the first time in years, I can stand to look in the mirror. I feel confident and happy in my body; there aren't words to describe what a difference it makes to quality of life!

I am committed to doing P3 successfully. I do want to clarify how to do it because I understand it is a critical part of the program; this is where the body's weight is reset and we lock in the new weight.

I have read the P3 foods sticky and read Leez's blog post.

For context, I expect to finish P2 at 176lb, which puts my maintenace calories at 2300-2470 (weight x 13-14). Feels like a lot!!

Transition phase questions: I understand for the 72 hours following my last shot, I follow the VLCD. My clinic advised that as my hunger increases as the HCG reduces in my system, I should increase my consumption.
    1. Is this correct, should I begin to eat more during the transition phase? Leez's blog says to continue VLCD for 72 hours after last injection
    2. What foods should I eat, purely the P2 foods?

P3 Maintenance questions: I understand that eating enough is critical to locking in this new weight.
    3. Should I aim to hit my target calories starting Day 1 of P3? Feels like a lot to go from 500 cals to 2300!
    4. Should I wait to add in dairy and nuts? I saw some comments saying to wait until week 2-3 of P3. In which case, my week 1 would just be protein, veg, healthy fats and some fruit?
    5. Is there a target protein level i should be eating?
    6. Any food combos to avoid? For example, I have it in my head that eating fruit and fat is a no-no (e.g. apple and almond butter). Is this wrong?
    7. I don't eat steak...how can I substitute a 'steak' day if I go over 2lb of my LDW?
    8. I saw fruits are allowed on P3, but be wary of very sugary ones, e.g. Banana. are you sure?? I can really keep my apple in?

Thank you thank you in advance for your help!!

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries
    You'll likely find your hunger doesn't increase during the transition, because HCG will still be circulating in your system. But if you notice some hunger, you can increase protein and veggies if you like. Continue to follow the 500 calorie menu for the 72 hours. You're not in P3 until hour 73 starts.

In P3, you want to eat to your hunger and satisfaction signals. Eat as soon as you are hungry. Stop when you are satisfied---before you get to full.

Try for at least 1500 calories by the 3rd day (if you get there or beyond the first day that is fine), and then continue to add calories as your capacity increases, but always being aware to stop when satisfied. Slowing your eating will help you find that satisfaction point. If you have trouble, try taking a 10 minute break and then come back to your meal and see if you still need more.

4. Should I wait to add in dairy and nuts? I saw some comments saying to wait until week 2-3 of P3. In which case, my week 1 would just be protein, veg, healthy fats and some fruit?
    If you suspect you have food sensitivities, this is a good plan. If you think you are fine with dairy and eggs, you can test one or the other right away. You don't have to delay adding anything, and many people sail through P3 without testing. My best advice is to test anything suspicious that you think may have caused bloating or weight gain in the past and enjoy the rest.

80-100 grams protein is sufficient. Add more calories with good fats.

The starch-fat combo is the one Dr. Simeons warns about. A little nut butter on your apple is fine in P3. Later, in P4, when you are adding some starches back in, it will be more important to be careful about fruit and fat. And even then, you can have any kind of berries with a fat meal and be fine.

Yes, you can keep your apple, have a banana, pineapple, whatever fruit you want. Being careful about the sweet fruits means don't eat them in giant portions. A small banana or half a big one is a good portion for a sweet fruit.

Here are some alternate steak days you can try:
    Alternate Correction Days that work
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Ok wow, thanks. So i slowly ramp up my calories in P3, with the aim of hitting at least 1500 in day 3. Sounds like there isn't a calorie goal other than to eat to satisfaction and watch the scale.

This is very different to the advice given by my clinic. I am a little shocked tbh...

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    So i slowly ramp up my calories in P3, with the aim of hitting at least 1500 in day 3.
    Not exactly. That is a minimum just to give you a baseline requirement. Ramping up is not protocol. It is just a safer way to get to your full calorie needs than starting even lower, and staying low too long. You may be able to eat more right the beginning and if you can, that's good. Ideally, you want to be at your personal calorie requirement by day 3. The minimum guideline is just to give you an idea that you may need to eat more than you want the first couple of days. That is why making sure you are getting some fats at every meal is important...it helps get those calories up without a lot of volume, so its more comfortable.

I have observed that clinics and other HCG providers either do not understand the protocol, or they think they know better, so they've tried to mix in their own diet "wisdom" borrowed from whatever the current thinking is. After HCG, your metabolism is burning at a high level. You need to feed it enough, and quickly enough, or it will slow down. Ramping up calories tends to slow the burn rate, and then you end up stabilizing at a lower calorie requirement than you would have had you just eaten what you needed as you went through P3.

It is simpler than it seems. As you said, eat to satisfaction and keep an eye on the scale. Your body knows what it needs. The other thing I would add is don't let yourself get too hungry by delaying meals.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

A full review of my experience with DietDoc and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here. If you've found my posts helpful, please consider using this DietDoc link on your next HCG order. (your forum discount still applies)

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Aaannddd it's time for a correction day!

In reviewing the link you sent, it looks like the principle is to reduce calories and carb, eating fat to stabilise insulin levels? The one exception I see is the apple and cheese day. I feel like I have heard such mixed things about eating several apples and this feels against the ethos of the protocol...

i think my plan will be to not eat til dinner and eat some fatty meat with fat

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Just to make sure you are not doing a steak day prematurely, the steak day is required only if you are OVER your LIW. If you are just at it, hold off and see what happens tomorrow. Many times, the scale will back down from the precipice of doom and you can continue on without a steak day.

Should you continue, good luck on your correction day. Don't be afraid of apples, and don't be afraid to eat one with your fatty meat tonight. You won't lose any more by omitting it, and the fiber helps get the dense protein processed. Or have a tomato.

Alternate correction days are not protocol. They are just some strategies that have been reported to work for various people. I've had mixed results from the apple/cheese correction day. Sometimes have lost 4+ pounds, other times, closer to 1. So my takeaway from that is that its not so much what you eat on the correction day as why you needed it. If i have a 5 pound overnight gain, I tend to lose it with a correction day. If the gain has been incremental over a period of more than a few days, then I tend to lose only a pound or so.

Yesterday, i was exactly 2lb over my LIW. Today I was up another 1lb, so I do think it's time for a correction day? That said, the reason for this increase is being pretty bad over the weekend. I ate processed carbs and sugar. So I know what caused it, and I suspect it's a lot of water weight. I am up a total of 4.5lbs from 3 days ago, i want to catch this before it turns into a slippery slope.

Ok re: apples, i do love them. I think I will have salmon with butter + apple...just going to dream of it for now.

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Yes, if over your LIW its time to correct.

I have found steak days to sometimes be a welcome relief to the constant eating we have to do in P3 to keep calories up. Salmon is a fatty fish, but not super fatty. Use lots of butter!

Morning! I am down 1.5lbs, which is great. That is still 1.5 lbs over my LIW though. I think the weight will come off steadily in the coming days as I revert to proper eating (will be having my own special thanksgiving meal) but was wondering if I should consider doing another correction day today? Not sure if doing two correction days b2b is advisable

Thank you!

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    No, you can't do 2 correction days in a row. You need 4 regular eating days in between.

Just go back to normal P3 eating. Some clean it up the day after a correction by sticking with proteins & veggies, but I've never found that to make any difference.