Popular Pages :


Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 193 to 204 of 280

Thread: The Stabilization of MissM

  1. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissM View Post
    So today's experiment has been to focus on giving myself credit for the good choices I make, and consciously so. It's been pretty remarkable to witness how much happier and better I feel overall as well as how much more I'm magnetized toward gratitude. I may make this my goal for the week ahead: simply focus on what I'm doing right and pat myself on the back a little for everything I notice. Like begets like, and it's nice to be reminded of that when it's positive!

    It even trickled into my eating today. Eating to satisfaction, about 80% full, came quite easily. I'd made bacon-wrapped, pickle-juice-brined chicken drumsticks with mashed cauliflower and braised mixed greens for my first meal of the day this afternoon, and I ended up eating less than half of what I'd planned for and felt complete in that. I also gave myself permission to have more to eat later if I'm hungry again rather than having to stick to one meal a day, and I think that eased things up mentally for me as well. This is important to note, and one more reason to simply eat to satiety. Overeating at any point just doesn't serve me well on any level. I'm getting there. . . .

    I'm seven days out from when my period is due and I'm not feeling any kind of way about it. I really do suspect that not weighing myself daily has something to do with it. Watching the scale creep, even though I understand why and it's predictable, still does my head in this time of the month and creates unnecessary anxiety. It's not useful data to me. So, I doubt I'll be stepping on it again until after my period arrives.

    Happy TGIF, all!
    Oh, lightbulb moment. Did you also grow up with "finish your plate?" Somehow that was almost more important in my family than eating to satiety.

    I would totally spin too, MissM. In fact, I did when I started weighing more and more last time around. And it wasn't TOM-related. I think it makes sense to not weigh when you expect to gain in your luteal phase. That said, can you mentally adjust your baseline? Like during that phase when you know you are gaining because of TOM, you adjust your baseline and add a certain amount of average and deduct that from your weigh-in number? Then again, not weighing works too LOL

    I have enjoyed reading all this and following your journey, MissM. Much good stuff and things to contemplate. Thank you for your openness!

    I am still very much processing my journey and can't really put my finger on things. A lot of what you write resonates for sure. I just don't trust the carbs. I grew up eating bread with meals (France). Yummy crispy fresh baked baguette only the French know how to make. Why on earth is having some with a meal such a predicament that I have to count it as an occasional treat? I am just frustrated with that. So that is where I am for now. Happy in P2, looking forward to P3 but P4 remains elusive except for a planned treat. Carbs make me feel hungry even when I am not, even when I have eaten enough calories to confirm. One approach I thought about for P4 is that: making sure I have enough variation, stick to my caloric intake, and not eat more even if hungry. I was really hoping for more, well, freedom LOL Sorry, I am a Debbie downer. I am trying to find that space where good carbs are OK in P4, the scale does not budge and I don't overeat/snack, etc. Going to give it a serious try in between these rounds but it will have to be with counting and calculating and maybe that needs to be an OK step till I learn what normal is for a P4.
    Intermountain HHCG
    Goal 150
    R3
    P2 6/28
    PI 7/24-8/3
    P2 8/4-8/19
    P3 8/20
    P4 9/11

  2. #194
    Super Member!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    R/P/M
    R6/P2/IM injections
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissM View Post
    I also gave myself permission to have more to eat later if I'm hungry again rather than having to stick to one meal a day, and I think that eased things up mentally for me as well. This is important to note, and one more reason to simply eat to satiety. Overeating at any point just doesn't serve me well on any level. I'm getting there. . . .
    Yes! This. You set yourself up for success today instead of failure!

  3. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwest US
    R/P/M
    P2
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by justgitterdone View Post
    Yes! This. You set yourself up for success today instead of failure!
    Thank you for helping me get to this place, JGD--you were right about the excessive restraints of fasting. Working on finding the sweet spot. . . .

  4. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwest US
    R/P/M
    P2
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsstrong View Post
    Oh, lightbulb moment. Did you also grow up with "finish your plate?" Somehow that was almost more important in my family than eating to satiety.

    I would totally spin too, MissM. In fact, I did when I started weighing more and more last time around. And it wasn't TOM-related. I think it makes sense to not weigh when you expect to gain in your luteal phase. That said, can you mentally adjust your baseline? Like during that phase when you know you are gaining because of TOM, you adjust your baseline and add a certain amount of average and deduct that from your weigh-in number? Then again, not weighing works too LOL

    I have enjoyed reading all this and following your journey, MissM. Much good stuff and things to contemplate. Thank you for your openness!

    I am still very much processing my journey and can't really put my finger on things. A lot of what you write resonates for sure. I just don't trust the carbs. I grew up eating bread with meals (France). Yummy crispy fresh baked baguette only the French know how to make. Why on earth is having some with a meal such a predicament that I have to count it as an occasional treat? I am just frustrated with that. So that is where I am for now. Happy in P2, looking forward to P3 but P4 remains elusive except for a planned treat. Carbs make me feel hungry even when I am not, even when I have eaten enough calories to confirm. One approach I thought about for P4 is that: making sure I have enough variation, stick to my caloric intake, and not eat more even if hungry. I was really hoping for more, well, freedom LOL Sorry, I am a Debbie downer. I am trying to find that space where good carbs are OK in P4, the scale does not budge and I don't overeat/snack, etc. Going to give it a serious try in between these rounds but it will have to be with counting and calculating and maybe that needs to be an OK step till I learn what normal is for a P4.
    I did not grow up with "finish your plate" so I can't blame my parents for that one! With my grandmother, to some extent yes, but it was more about avoiding wastefulness that came with her Depression-era, poverty-surviving ways. I always had big eyes for food, so yes, I had to eat whatever I took whether I liked it or not or whether I was full or not. Interesting how these memories come flooding back when the gate is opened. . . .

    Still contemplating the scale, and it has arrived, Yvonne. It's sitting on my dining room table with the instruction manual and no batteries in it, LOL. If I'm honest, I resent having to weigh myself even more than I resent any food control I feel I need to take. Isn't that funny? I'm the opposite of a data geek and have no desire for charts and numbers, etc. I just want to feel my way into things. Well, we see where that's gotten me most of the time. So, I need to find my sweet spot with that as well. Either take Jeff's approach of just stepping on the scale and documenting it every day until I'm inured to the number, whatever it may be; play some kind of fascinating game like mrsstrong suggested; weight intermittently, perhaps weekly, a la Yvonne and weight watchers; or maybe skip weighing during the luteal phase of my cycle. I don't know. Thinking about it makes me tired. But not weighing at all also makes me a bit nervous. Will continue to contemplate.

    As for your revelation about growing up in France eating baguettes, well, I most certainly understand your feelings of unfairness in not being able to eat what others eat that you've described in the past. Truly I do. I have had the distinct pleasure of traveling in France and eating truly marvelous bread as part of a daily, normal ritual, and frankly, it's one of the reasons I can give up bread in my normal life. Having had the best I have no interest in mediocre (or worse) bread. But I digress. The point is, this tidbit of info gave me some insight into your struggle. And I have a few suggestions which may or may not be useful at all:

    1. Do carbs have the same effect on your appetite regardless of what they're eaten with? I tend to do much better if I balance them with protein and fat and limit it to once a day, preferably at the end of the day. I had some significant success with The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet about 20 years ago. It was suggested to me by a doctor and it basically has you eating very low carb for breakfast and dinner and then you can have whatever delectable carb you want without regard for nourishment (baguette, chocolate cake, chocolate-dipped plantains, fruit, potato, rice, what have you) as long as it only takes up 1/4 of your plate. The rest is divvied up among non-starchy veggies and protein and fat. You probably can more eloquently describe than I the slowed insulin response when a simple carb is eaten with protein, fat, and fiber, and why that might be a possible solution.

    2. Address the thinking patterns that ultimately lead to you making choices other than the ones you know work and are healthiest for you. I highly recommend the book The Beck Diet Solution to assist with this. The author is a cognitive behavioral specialist who uses cognitive therapy techniques specifically for dieting and weight loss, and I return to some of the practices and techniques nearly every day. She frames things as "sabotaging thoughts" that come up, such as "It's unfair that I can't eat bread with dinner like a normal person anymore except as a special treat" and encourages you to write a helpful response that you can turn to again and again when the sabotaging thought comes up. Something like, "Not being able to eat bread whenever I want might not be fair, but I have two choices: I can feel sorry for myself, stop following my plan, never reach my goal or maintain my loss, and continue to be unhappy with myself. Or I can sympathize with myself but go ahead and do what I know I need to do. Everyone experiences some kind of unfairness in life. This is one of mine. Besides, the greatest unfairness to me would be if I let this excuse prevent me from reaching a goal I strongly want to achieve."

    And she has you create a "response card" you can whip out and read whenever you experience the sabotaging thought. It's a bit dated in that now you could have it written on an app in your phone and have it handy at any moment, but I've found it really works wonders. This is where I got the idea about giving myself credit, and I'm going to keep working on that for at least the next week.

    3. Try moving forward in P4 (and maybe testing the waters in P3) with the release valve we've talked about before. Give yourself permission to eat whatever you want in whatever amount you want but keep it isolated to a single day or meal and get right back on the horse the next day. Limit it to once a week or month or whatever you figure out works. I'm still a little skeptical of this one for the fact that "planned spontaneity" is questionable to the freedom-loving part of me; however, I'm willing to give it a shot. I bring it up for you because it does seem that strict keto like you do without end is just not sustainable without getting to eat some carbs every now and then. It's only human to crash and burn every once in a while when you're so consistently low carb for so long. Maybe planning the crashes could help control the damage?

    Anyway, take that for what it's worth. I know you're very savvy and know yourself well. I'm cheering you on to finding a way to sustain the healthiest maintainable life and weight for good!

  5. #197
    Super Member! FlirtyFlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    2,839
    Blog Entries
    2
    Wise words and wise thinking
    In the end of the day only I will know what works for me
    .. and so do you for you..
    It all boils down to being honest to ourselves
    ~AKA Yvonne SA~
    Greetings from Sunny South Africa!
    Round 3 - Loading 16 Apr '21 - start weight 76.4/168.1
    Round 2 - Jan-Mar '21 - lost 5kgs/11lbs
    Round 1 - Sept-Nov '20 - lost 10kgs/22lbs

  6. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissM View Post
    I did not grow up with "finish your plate" so I can't blame my parents for that one! With my grandmother, to some extent yes, but it was more about avoiding wastefulness that came with her Depression-era, poverty-surviving ways. I always had big eyes for food, so yes, I had to eat whatever I took whether I liked it or not or whether I was full or not. Interesting how these memories come flooding back when the gate is opened. . . .

    Still contemplating the scale, and it has arrived, Yvonne. It's sitting on my dining room table with the instruction manual and no batteries in it, LOL. If I'm honest, I resent having to weigh myself even more than I resent any food control I feel I need to take. Isn't that funny? I'm the opposite of a data geek and have no desire for charts and numbers, etc. I just want to feel my way into things. Well, we see where that's gotten me most of the time. So, I need to find my sweet spot with that as well. Either take Jeff's approach of just stepping on the scale and documenting it every day until I'm inured to the number, whatever it may be; play some kind of fascinating game like mrsstrong suggested; weight intermittently, perhaps weekly, a la Yvonne and weight watchers; or maybe skip weighing during the luteal phase of my cycle. I don't know. Thinking about it makes me tired. But not weighing at all also makes me a bit nervous. Will continue to contemplate.

    As for your revelation about growing up in France eating baguettes, well, I most certainly understand your feelings of unfairness in not being able to eat what others eat that you've described in the past. Truly I do. I have had the distinct pleasure of traveling in France and eating truly marvelous bread as part of a daily, normal ritual, and frankly, it's one of the reasons I can give up bread in my normal life. Having had the best I have no interest in mediocre (or worse) bread. But I digress. The point is, this tidbit of info gave me some insight into your struggle. And I have a few suggestions which may or may not be useful at all:

    1. Do carbs have the same effect on your appetite regardless of what they're eaten with? I tend to do much better if I balance them with protein and fat and limit it to once a day, preferably at the end of the day. I had some significant success with The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet about 20 years ago. It was suggested to me by a doctor and it basically has you eating very low carb for breakfast and dinner and then you can have whatever delectable carb you want without regard for nourishment (baguette, chocolate cake, chocolate-dipped plantains, fruit, potato, rice, what have you) as long as it only takes up 1/4 of your plate. The rest is divvied up among non-starchy veggies and protein and fat. You probably can more eloquently describe than I the slowed insulin response when a simple carb is eaten with protein, fat, and fiber, and why that might be a possible solution.

    2. Address the thinking patterns that ultimately lead to you making choices other than the ones you know work and are healthiest for you. I highly recommend the book The Beck Diet Solution to assist with this. The author is a cognitive behavioral specialist who uses cognitive therapy techniques specifically for dieting and weight loss, and I return to some of the practices and techniques nearly every day. She frames things as "sabotaging thoughts" that come up, such as "It's unfair that I can't eat bread with dinner like a normal person anymore except as a special treat" and encourages you to write a helpful response that you can turn to again and again when the sabotaging thought comes up. Something like, "Not being able to eat bread whenever I want might not be fair, but I have two choices: I can feel sorry for myself, stop following my plan, never reach my goal or maintain my loss, and continue to be unhappy with myself. Or I can sympathize with myself but go ahead and do what I know I need to do. Everyone experiences some kind of unfairness in life. This is one of mine. Besides, the greatest unfairness to me would be if I let this excuse prevent me from reaching a goal I strongly want to achieve."

    And she has you create a "response card" you can whip out and read whenever you experience the sabotaging thought. It's a bit dated in that now you could have it written on an app in your phone and have it handy at any moment, but I've found it really works wonders. This is where I got the idea about giving myself credit, and I'm going to keep working on that for at least the next week.

    3. Try moving forward in P4 (and maybe testing the waters in P3) with the release valve we've talked about before. Give yourself permission to eat whatever you want in whatever amount you want but keep it isolated to a single day or meal and get right back on the horse the next day. Limit it to once a week or month or whatever you figure out works. I'm still a little skeptical of this one for the fact that "planned spontaneity" is questionable to the freedom-loving part of me; however, I'm willing to give it a shot. I bring it up for you because it does seem that strict keto like you do without end is just not sustainable without getting to eat some carbs every now and then. It's only human to crash and burn every once in a while when you're so consistently low carb for so long. Maybe planning the crashes could help control the damage?

    Anyway, take that for what it's worth. I know you're very savvy and know yourself well. I'm cheering you on to finding a way to sustain the healthiest maintainable life and weight for good!
    Thanks for all of this, MissM!

    My family's "finish your plate" definitely comes from wartime. My parents were born in 1943 in The Netherlands and food was scarce for a number of years. It is of course to avoid wastefulness but that got lost in translation. There were also the poor children in Africa who have no food and so I had to eat mine. I know what she was trying to instill, gratitude and stewardship, and I am not blaming her for anything considering what and how she grew up. I am just realizing how these things reverberate. I always told my kids to take less and go for seconds but that only works if everyone does that LOL With 6 people, you may get the short end of the stick and there is nothing left by the time you go back around.

    Anyway, dissecting more:

    1. I probably should never snack on carbs for sure. The good thing about eating them with dinner is that if the monster awakens, I go to sleep and it is gone the next morning. I can have some blueberries with yogurt fine so there is definitely something to eating them with a meal and as a small part of a meal. The 1/4 on a plate is a good visual.

    2. That book looks good! Will check it out. I want to figure out what the moment when give in/up looks like exactly, what I tell myself, but mostly, act on it.

    3. I do still plan on that one day of eating what I'd like. The keto/low carb has been fine for a long time and there was a time that I was able to have some sweet potato fries on occasion or a bite of cake. Need to get back to that person. It is what made keto work for me so you are right about making it sustainable. I'd like to think that if it had not been for Covid I would still be fine, but this last year I found cooking and eating together, ordering take out, etc. has been comforting and bonding with my family. As was mentioned before, at some point the brain needs to be there and there is a decision to make.

    I think looking back to the last P4, my downfall was:
    - Snacking when feeling like it because "cues."
    - These "cues" probably meant that I did not eat lunch as well as I should have.
    - I need to prep for lunch better because I think that is where I started to slack off. I really need to have stuff on hand on busy days and I did not. Even if I then grab stuff that I can have, like nuts and seed crackers with cheese, I end up undereating for that meal I think and that is then followed by snacking. Snacking begets snacking. That one will get me again if I don't plan so I need to take better care of myself in that regard.

    Constant mindfulness!

    Thanks, MissM.
    Intermountain HHCG
    Goal 150
    R3
    P2 6/28
    PI 7/24-8/3
    P2 8/4-8/19
    P3 8/20
    P4 9/11

  7. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwest US
    R/P/M
    P2
    Posts
    722
    COVID and quarantine did a number on a lot of us--perhaps ALL of us, though in slightly different ways. I know for me being stuck alone in my ****ty apartment for months on end took many of life's very real pleasures from me. All but food. Food was accessible and could be fun and adventurous and one of life's only remaining pleasures. How could we not turn to it again and again? There are so many reasons to be compassionate with ourselves for however we've managed to cope.

    And for me, the 12 pounds I gained that had me bursting at my biggest pants' seams is what led me to asking my Doc about the sign I saw about HCG in the waiting room and ultimately my turnaround, which has been really significant not just in terms of COVID, but also in terms of the scope of my life. So interesting how things happen.

    But I digress. Yet again.

    Sounds like you have some really good insights, mrsstrong, into how to best move forward. You're on the right track and you know how to self correct. And yes, mindfulness, always mindfulness, especially about that point at which we make a choice in a split second that in retrospect has the propensity to change everything. Sometimes we just need to take two steps forward, one step back a few times too many for us to stop taking that same step back. This path is not linear, that's for sure!

    On a different yet related subject for me, on the recommendation of an acquaintance I picked up the book The Pause: Positive Approaches to Perimenopause and Menopause, and just from reading the first couple chapters it seems pretty clear to me I am indeed in perimenopause. So happy I'm seeing my doc on Monday. She's kind of had an eye on me because of my age regarding hormonal shifts, but it'll be good to discuss with her some of my symptoms. I don't know that anything necessarily requires treatment at this point, but I'll see what she says.

    And today was a good day for food and movement and doing the right amount of everything. I may take an epsom salts bath, lather myself with lovely lotion, and put myself to bed early. I haven't accomplished nearly what was on my list for spring break, but oh well. It just means I have to get it together tomorrow to be prepared for the new term that begins Monday. I always get it done on time, so no doubt I will this time as well. . . .

  8. #200
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwest US
    R/P/M
    P2
    Posts
    722
    Well, I did it. I set up my new scale and stepped on it. Compared it to my old scale and it measures me .6 higher than the old one, so there's a bit of an adjustment. And I'm five days out from my period (should it decide to arrive as scheduled). Anyway, I'm about four pounds above LIW, but I'm feeling really good about it. How funny is that?

    So, the scale measures weight, but also BMI, body fat percentage, fat-free body weight, subcutaneous fat, visceral fat, body water, skeletal muscle, muscle mass, bone mass, protein, and BMR. AND it puts it all in context based on age, gender, etc. So, what it did for me psychologically is show me that even though my weight is up from my LIW, I'm still well within normal or better-than-normal ranges for all those other markers. No need to sweat the number of pounds reflected back at me, whether it ultimately drops back down closer to LIW or not.

    AMAZING.

    I'm coming to terms with this silly scale, I think, and figuring out perhaps the difference between my lowest achievable weight and lowest maintainable weight. Time will tell. But what I can say is that taking a step away from the scale for a while gave me an opportunity to figure out how I want to live without trying to figure out any relationship between food and movement and weight. I settled into a way of eating and moving that is sustainable and makes me happy. If the resulting weight is the number I saw on the scale this morning, given that all the other numbers are well within healthy range, then we're all good. Especially if I can maintain it while living the way I'm living. Which includes A LOT of activity, which I love; eating what I truly enjoy and to satisfaction, including a couple squares of chocolate, sometimes twice a day; and intermittent fasting, because it makes me feel good rather than because it's how I manage my weight.

    For me it was a good choice to step away from the scale for a stretch. And now I believe I can return to daily weighing. Or I'll experiment with it, anyway.

    I really love the possibility that I've found a way to live that I want to continue regardless of how it does or doesn't impact my weight. Maybe the cause and effect element of all this, the dieting mentality, has been softened if not eliminated. I'm much more interested in nuances, in how what and how I consume impacts how I feel--separate from how a number on the scale makes me feel. This is very ayurveda-influenced, and I'm grateful for that.

    And yet I also see the very real value in continuing to weigh for the long run, to catch, halt, and reverse trends in an unhealthy direction. Full awareness now that I'm in peri menopause helps me realize the unpredictability of my hormones and body for the next stretch of years potentially means maintaining stability in my weight may require a bit more vigilance. So, I'll keep making my way!

  9. #201
    Super Member!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    R/P/M
    R6/P2/IM injections
    Posts
    1,011
    So proud of you with your attitude towards the scale adjustment. Instead of letting it get you down and derail you, you used the additional information provided to remain logical and see things for what they really are. And I agree, that continuing to weigh is very helpful to be able to quickly pivot and reverse course if needed. Your scale sounds amazing by the way! You may have already done this, but would you mind sharing the brand/model? I’d like to look into it.

  10. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissM View Post
    COVID and quarantine did a number on a lot of us--perhaps ALL of us, though in slightly different ways. I know for me being stuck alone in my ****ty apartment for months on end took many of life's very real pleasures from me. All but food. Food was accessible and could be fun and adventurous and one of life's only remaining pleasures. How could we not turn to it again and again? There are so many reasons to be compassionate with ourselves for however we've managed to cope.

    And for me, the 12 pounds I gained that had me bursting at my biggest pants' seams is what led me to asking my Doc about the sign I saw about HCG in the waiting room and ultimately my turnaround, which has been really significant not just in terms of COVID, but also in terms of the scope of my life. So interesting how things happen.

    But I digress. Yet again.

    Sounds like you have some really good insights, mrsstrong, into how to best move forward. You're on the right track and you know how to self correct. And yes, mindfulness, always mindfulness, especially about that point at which we make a choice in a split second that in retrospect has the propensity to change everything. Sometimes we just need to take two steps forward, one step back a few times too many for us to stop taking that same step back. This path is not linear, that's for sure!

    On a different yet related subject for me, on the recommendation of an acquaintance I picked up the book The Pause: Positive Approaches to Perimenopause and Menopause, and just from reading the first couple chapters it seems pretty clear to me I am indeed in perimenopause. So happy I'm seeing my doc on Monday. She's kind of had an eye on me because of my age regarding hormonal shifts, but it'll be good to discuss with her some of my symptoms. I don't know that anything necessarily requires treatment at this point, but I'll see what she says.

    And today was a good day for food and movement and doing the right amount of everything. I may take an epsom salts bath, lather myself with lovely lotion, and put myself to bed early. I haven't accomplished nearly what was on my list for spring break, but oh well. It just means I have to get it together tomorrow to be prepared for the new term that begins Monday. I always get it done on time, so no doubt I will this time as well. . . .
    It's also been more than just the virus. It has been the rhetoric surrounding Covid from different groups that really has gotten to me. The polarizing of it all. Besides the elections, and now the same rhetoric as the virus and masks happening with vaccinations, I am just emotionally and intellectually drained. So much so that we have avoided church because we don't want to deal with it. It's just sad. Even some of my own kids who judge me for being too hippy/granola/alternative and yes, vaccine critical, do not trust me about getting this vaccine. It's so weird! They were selectively vaccinated, and some needed to catch up with a few for college because of it so you'd think that when I do come to the conclusion that this one has more pros than cons, they'd trust my judgment. But nope. Anyway, I digress too!

    I hope I am on track with my insights! I am going to go with it for now

    Menopause is a blast... of heat LOL So so weird. I keep thinking I need to see someone but then keep hoping that it will be over soon. But it's taking a while and every time I think I landed on the other side, I have some spotting. Herbs help me but they are expensive and I need to stay on top of them for them to work.

    Hope you got the prepping done!
    Intermountain HHCG
    Goal 150
    R3
    P2 6/28
    PI 7/24-8/3
    P2 8/4-8/19
    P3 8/20
    P4 9/11

  11. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissM View Post
    Well, I did it. I set up my new scale and stepped on it. Compared it to my old scale and it measures me .6 higher than the old one, so there's a bit of an adjustment. And I'm five days out from my period (should it decide to arrive as scheduled). Anyway, I'm about four pounds above LIW, but I'm feeling really good about it. How funny is that?

    So, the scale measures weight, but also BMI, body fat percentage, fat-free body weight, subcutaneous fat, visceral fat, body water, skeletal muscle, muscle mass, bone mass, protein, and BMR. AND it puts it all in context based on age, gender, etc. So, what it did for me psychologically is show me that even though my weight is up from my LIW, I'm still well within normal or better-than-normal ranges for all those other markers. No need to sweat the number of pounds reflected back at me, whether it ultimately drops back down closer to LIW or not.

    AMAZING.

    I'm coming to terms with this silly scale, I think, and figuring out perhaps the difference between my lowest achievable weight and lowest maintainable weight. Time will tell. But what I can say is that taking a step away from the scale for a while gave me an opportunity to figure out how I want to live without trying to figure out any relationship between food and movement and weight. I settled into a way of eating and moving that is sustainable and makes me happy. If the resulting weight is the number I saw on the scale this morning, given that all the other numbers are well within healthy range, then we're all good. Especially if I can maintain it while living the way I'm living. Which includes A LOT of activity, which I love; eating what I truly enjoy and to satisfaction, including a couple squares of chocolate, sometimes twice a day; and intermittent fasting, because it makes me feel good rather than because it's how I manage my weight.

    For me it was a good choice to step away from the scale for a stretch. And now I believe I can return to daily weighing. Or I'll experiment with it, anyway.

    I really love the possibility that I've found a way to live that I want to continue regardless of how it does or doesn't impact my weight. Maybe the cause and effect element of all this, the dieting mentality, has been softened if not eliminated. I'm much more interested in nuances, in how what and how I consume impacts how I feel--separate from how a number on the scale makes me feel. This is very ayurveda-influenced, and I'm grateful for that.

    And yet I also see the very real value in continuing to weigh for the long run, to catch, halt, and reverse trends in an unhealthy direction. Full awareness now that I'm in peri menopause helps me realize the unpredictability of my hormones and body for the next stretch of years potentially means maintaining stability in my weight may require a bit more vigilance. So, I'll keep making my way!
    This all sounds awesome! Happy for you!
    Intermountain HHCG
    Goal 150
    R3
    P2 6/28
    PI 7/24-8/3
    P2 8/4-8/19
    P3 8/20
    P4 9/11

  12. #204
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwest US
    R/P/M
    P2
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsstrong View Post
    It's also been more than just the virus. It has been the rhetoric surrounding Covid from different groups that really has gotten to me. The polarizing of it all. Besides the elections, and now the same rhetoric as the virus and masks happening with vaccinations, I am just emotionally and intellectually drained. So much so that we have avoided church because we don't want to deal with it. It's just sad. Even some of my own kids who judge me for being too hippy/granola/alternative and yes, vaccine critical, do not trust about getting this vaccine. It's so weird! They were selectively vaccinated, and some needed to catch up with a few for college because of it so you'd think that when I do come to the conclusion that this one has more pros than cons, they'd trust my judgment. But nope. Anyway, I digress too!

    I hope I am on track with my insights! I am going to go with it for now

    Menopause is a blast... of heat LOL So so weird. I keep thinking I need to see someone but then keep hoping that it will be over soon. But it's taking a while and every time I think I landed on the other side, I have some spotting. Herbs help me but they are expensive and I need to stay on top of them for them to work.

    Hope you got the prepping done!
    Ugh, that's right. I remember your stress and consternation about the polarizing state of things from last round. I'm sorry it's infiltrated your family and religious life.

    FWIW, Beck Diet Solution also addresses emotional eating in helpful ways, using both mindset and behavioral techniques.

    Thanks so much for commiserating about the hormonal changes. Alternative therapies can be so great, but yes, expensive and require consistency. I've started with an ayurvedic approach, and am hoping my holistic doc may be able to prescribe something herbal that insurance might cover. All these healthcare costs are a lot to manage. Totally worth it, but sheesh. I also need to pay my heating bill, and buy a lawnmower, know what I mean?

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •