Popular Pages :

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How do you know you're getting enough calories?

How do you know you're getting enough calories?

I have been studying up on this forum, inspired girl, HCG chica... honestly anything I can get my hands on by googling, haha!

I get P3 is all about increasing calories, keeping your metabolism working, introducing proteins, healthy fats and veggies, while staying away from sugar and starches and eating to when you are satisfied, not full or stuffed.

My question is, how do you know you are eating enough calories? I have always been a calorie restrictor to lose weight and am absolutely THRILLED at the thought that I could eat more than 1200 calories and not gain weight! But I feel like I will be very nervous and slow to increase that I don't want to slow my metabolism again. So any insight on to how to know how to increase your calories would be great?

How fast did you increase in P3?
    Did you keep increasing until there was a gain?
    If there was a gain how did you correct?

So many questions, I know :P but so thankful for any advice you guys can give me!

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries
    It can be scary to eat more than you think you can without gaining. But in P3, those who are successful overcome that fear and are usually delighted at the amount of good foods they can eat and stay within 2 pounds of their ending weight.

I'm with you on the calorie restricting mindset. I had it big time. All I can say is that you have to try to suppress that, and trust the process of the protocol. It works, and will amaze you at how well.

How fast did you increase in P3?
    Some people just jump right in and have no issues with low capacity. These people do fine and will eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories. Many of us, myself included, find that after the small amounts eaten in P2, there doesn't seem to be much room in there and we struggle to get calories in for a few days until we get more comfortable with more volume. If this is your situation, you will want to concentrate on good fats everytime you eat, as fat calories are more concentrated. This means you can eat a small amount and still get enough calories. Foods good for this are fatty meats or fish, avocado's, coconut oil, butter and other full fat dairy (if you wish to introduce that)

Did you keep increasing until there was a gain?
    What has worked for me is to keep increasing until reaching a minimum of 1500 calories, and then at that point try to rely on satisfaction signals, and increase in relation to that.

If there was a gain how did you correct?
    During P3, I generally use steak days as the first defense. Once I get to P4, I will do some alternate correction days that work for me.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview
    Please note that any suggestions I make are based on the Original Protocol.

My recent HCG round was with DietDoc. Our site owner has generously arranged for me to earn a small fee if you use my DietDoc or Nu Image Medical link to order your Hcg and supplies. (All HDI site discounts and coupons apply.) A full review of my experience and how the round progressed: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog here

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Thank you for responding so fast Leez!! I was thinking of following hcgchica’s P3tolife program. She does week 1 at 900-1000, week 2 at 1100-1200 and week 3 at 1300-1400. She then says at that point you can increase to what your body can tolerate to maintain weight.

Do you think this is too slow of an increase and will slow my metabolism? Should I speed it up?

I know I should just listen to my hunger but I have never been good at that and eat more for social/boredness. Of course this is something I AM and WILL continue to work on but I feel like having a plan will help me manage “what is hunger” a bit better.

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think that is way too slow of an increase pace. I'd say 3 days to get to at least your minimum is a safe amount of time. Keep building up from there as your hunger dictates.

People with healthier metabolisms seem able to change the protocol in different ways and get away with it. Since it appeared to work for them, they then recommend it to others. But its no guarantee you would have the same success. Those of us who have any kind of metabolic or hormonal issues are better served to stick to what we know works--the guidelines outlined in the original protocol.

Getting in touch with hunger and fullness signals is a process, but P3 is the perfect time to work on it, as you are free from sugar and processed food cravings for a while. Your hypothalamus (which controls those signals) has been rested and reset. This is the time when those signals will be clearest. You may find this article helpful to define your hunger signals better:

https://hcgdietinfo.com/how-to-know-...-you-are-full/
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

My recent HCG round was with DietDoc. Our site owner has generously arranged for me to earn a small fee if you use my DietDoc or Nu Image Medical link to order your Hcg and supplies. (All HDI site discounts and coupons apply.) A full review of my experience and how the round progressed: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog here

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

Ok maybe I will try and get to 1500 by the end of my first week and then see if I can handle more in the weeks to come. Does that sound good?

How do you troubleshoot weight gain? In the first week, when I am working on increasing my calorie intake, What if I have 900 my first day and gain (not above 2 lbs from LIW but a gain) the next day do I stay at 900 again, drop below 900, or keep increasing everyday and only freak out/do a correction/decrease my calories if I go over 2lbs? Just wondering when to know my body is saying “OKAY THIS IS AS MANY CALORIES AS YOU CAN HANDLE”

Thank you for all your help!! Trying to be as best prepared as I can and you are just wonderful!

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    A week is too long. Your metabolism can slow down and you will likely start gaining from UNDEREATING. Seriously, forget everything you know about calories and gaining weight. It will trip you up in P3. You need to eat freely and not count calories unless you are checking to see if you have had enough. That doesn't mean you overeat. That is where learning your satisfaction signals comes in.

The steak day is the remedy no matter the reason for a gain over 2 pounds. Always eat the biggest steak you can manage without stuffing yourself, because sometimes a gain can be because your protein is low.

Do not restrict to 900 calories on any day. If that is what it ends up that you hit on day 1, then its ok, but don't limit yourself to that. And get more in the next day.

In my experience, gaining from eating too much will line up with remembering that you felt stuffed after your meals. And that is not fat gain...it's bloat gain. Bloat gain can be from a food sensitivity, or it can simply be because there is more food to process than your body can handle in those few hours, so you retain extra water for that. It all looks the same on the scale. Remember that it takes eating 3500 calories MORE than you expend to gain a pound.

Very few people will gain in P3 from eating too much. That tends to happen more in P4.