Popular Pages :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yo Yo and Constipation

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets

Yo Yo and Constipation

Good Morning Leez,

So I am having a problem. I have been going up in weight: Initially this was 128.4 to 130. Okay, I was still within my window, although you know your girl here prefers to be at my "happy weight" of 128.4 that I was at for over a month.

Now: a new problem. I have been constipated and suffering from a sluggish digestion. Today, I was at 132,(!!) but really constipated. I am going a little, but still feel constipated. I took the following steps yesterday to try to fix this. I am fearful of going "the opposite direction" and never leaving the bathroom! I have also been walking when it was good weather and Sunday started doing yoga sculpt. Yesterday I:

1. Took vitamin C , 1-1000 mg tab.(I could have taken more).
    2. Drank Extra water and Tea.
    3. Had a lot of fruit and veggies (I usually have fruit and veggies, so about 2 extra servings)
    4. Took 1 dose of Benefiber flushed with lots of water. (I once in a while take 1 dose once a week as I use to have hemorrhoids per some dumb Dr's instructions, he said increase fiber by using this but honestly this seemed so dumb once a week I rarely do it)
    5. At 4 PM I was still really uncomfortable so I took a dose of Miralax laxative.

I thought all that would do the trick! But No! So today I found my Magnesium powder and am planning on adding that. I was also going to have Grammy's inflammation Smoothie at lunch.

What else do you think I could do? Increase my vitamin C and Magnesium? and????
    On top of all that I am nervous (no Surprise) about the overnight 2 pound weight gain. Any advice?

Thank you as always for your help. I am also going to track my food on My Fitness Pal incase there are any issue foods that I am eating.

Leez, I hope that you are staying well and happy and safe.

Warmly,
    RK
    [/url]

Chief Moderator (my happy place :) Leez's Avatar
    R/P/M
    M: at goal May 2015 77# lost wHCG injections
    Blog Entries
    OK, lets get you moving again. That will likely be the key to the scale settling down.

But here's the deal...you have to throw out all the advice given you about adding fiber for this problem. Once you are constipated, adding fiber of any kind works against you. What it does is form a plug behind the one that is already there. So stop taking fiber.

Next, what you DO need is extra water being drawn to the large bowel. The way you accomplish this is through magnesium and vitamin C supplementation. If you do it right, it works overnight, you don't get any cramps, and you will not be tethered to the bathroom the next day.

How to do it right: A large dose of magnesium. Any kind, but magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate are both poorly absorbed as a nutrient, so they work best for this purpose. Where you start depends on your tolerance. I take 400mg just as a daily supplement, so I would start at 800mg. (If you are used to 250mg, you would start at 500mg) Vitamin C the same---double what ever your daily amount is, or start with 2000mg. If you don't get overnight relief from that, increase the magnesium the next day by an entire dose and add an extra 1000mg vitamin C. Keep increasing each day until you get relief. If you end up being too loose, you've found your bowel tolerance level and you can back off some. That will be your dose for the next time you have this problem. Of course, you want to take in enough water, but you don't have to drown yourself. 2-3 litres over the day is plenty.

Once you are back to normal, you can consider adding some fiber if you wish. Personally I get plenty of fiber from foods I eat, so I don't bother with it.

The inflammation smoothie is a good idea today. If you already started a steak day, it won't hurt you. Constipation is actually my first clue that I've eaten something I'm sensitive too. So it could be your body is giving you a red flag, and the inflammation smoothie will help calm down any body response if that is the issue.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

My recent HCG round was with DietDoc. A full review of my experience and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Thank you Leez!

I agree with you about fiber. Thank you also for the thorough explanation. I use Calm pretty frequently—3 times a week for sleep so tonight I will double my dose. I will also take another 10000 mg vitamin C tonight— (I already took my usual 1000 Vitamin C during the day). I will keep drinking water. Thank you for the directions about water too. Easy to overdo the water.

Thank you again and I will report back with hopefully good news!

Warmly,
    RK

Yes, I would rather add real foods with fiber than supplements... once I am back to normal.
    [/url]

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Good Morning Leez,

I have good news and bad news. Good news: Things are moving, and I am not having any issues the other way. I still feel like I could go more, so I will keep up the water and do more Vitamin C and the double dose of magnesium tonight. I will also do a little magnesium and vitamin C at lunch. What do you think?

The bad news: I am still at 132! Also, I barely slept last night--I may have taken the Vitamin C too late and it upset my stomach, or I was just really plugged up and my stomach was upset, but poor sleep is very unusual for me. I am thinking I would let things settle down another day, then do a steak day tomorrow. What do you think of that? Do you think I will lose more weight today? If so, maybe I can just do a correction day or high protein day tomorrow? I am not sure as I don't want to screw up my digestion/metabolism.

Thank you for all your help.

Have a wonderful and safe day.

Fondly,
    RK
    [/url]

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    You can try vitamin C in the sodium ascorbate form if regular vitamin C upsets your stomach. Or try taking with food. For this purpose, I find it is better to dose mag and C all at once at night rather than divide doses.

Yes, increase if you think you are still somewhat plugged up.

If there is other stuff in the calm besides magnesium, you might want to switch to a single element supplement as you increase.

I'd give it another day before doing a steak day, then do whatever version you think your body likes best. I think its best not to be fighting on more than one front at a time.
    At goal since 2015. \(ᵔᴥᵔ)/ Total HCG loss: 77# [5'5" 210-133] Maintenance strategies overview

My recent HCG round was with DietDoc. A full review of my experience and how the round progressed can be found here: my Diet Doc review and my Hcg coaching blog is here

Medical Disclaimer: My statements are not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any medical condition.

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Thanks Leez,

That is good advice. Better to win one battle before trying to fight on 2 fronts. I will do the Mag and C tonight with food. Meanwhile I am drinking water and herb tea to help things move along.

Take care and have a great day.

Fondly,
    RK
    [/url]

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    HI Leez,

Help! I am in a panic!!!!

Leez, I hope you see this. If not, I can start a new thread.

I can't seem to shake this 2.8 pounds over my LIW! I do a correction day but my weight seems to float back up within a few days. I am having constipation again and wow is it screwing with my weight. I am going to take Magnesium tonight and Vitamin C. I am also going to really tighten up on my eating in "my fitness pal" so I can make sure it's not a new bad habit increasing my weight. I have started eating prunes and dates to help with the constipation but it may just be making me gain weight! My questions are:

Do you take magnesium regularly? Maybe that would help me. I think it would not hurt to take Vitamin C regularly too. I am also going to make sure I drink enough water. I am going to do the constipation protocol you outlined above tonight and take the 800 magnesium with 2000 vitamin C.

Do you have any other ideas to help me with the constipation and weight creep?

I am also going to arrange with my doctor to check my thyroid. My hashimotos may be acting up, it's been a while since I had blood work, and I may need to adjust my NP Thyroid dose. I read that chronic constipation is a sign of hypothyroidism.

Thank you for your help. I am trying not to panic about this...Just don't want to creep back up to my old weight.

Warmly,
    RK
    [/url]

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Yes, taking magnesium regularly is necessary for some of us. That seems to be more important than the vitamin C, although I add large doses back in to get things started again.

Low thyroid slows your gut motility. So if that is what is going on, you have to keep up with the regimen to keep things moving.

You are wise to get the thyroid meds adjusted properly. That will help everything, including weight creep.

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Thank you so much Leez!

I will be taking blood tests tomorrow, and will post back with results next week! I hope you are doing great and thank you for your help.

Warmest Regards,
    RK
    [/url]

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Hi Leez,
    I hope you are having a great weekend. My lab results are a good news/bad news pill I think. According to my doctor, she says it looks like my thyroid hormone is good. Now the question is do we believe her? If it's true that it is not my hormones that sadly means it is your girl here eating too much or the constipation or both.I have Hashimotos. But on Stop the Thyroid Madness, seems to indicate my NP Thyroid may not be optimal. Their website says:

"Those who are optimal on NDT or T4/T3: a free T3 within the top area of the range, ALONG WITH a mid-range free T4."

Having less activity for 2 weeks probably did not help. I still have not found the right does of magnesium, because I am dumb. I did not recall the effective starting dose in your previous messages, (my dumb move). So Yesterday I too little at 800 mg Magnesium, 1000 mg vitamin C. Tonight I will do better. My doctor is so very pleased with my cholesterol numbers now that I have lost weight. She is now a fan of the HCG diet and wants to hear more about it. I do not take any cholesterol medication, but when I was fat, I was about to be put on meds.

Would you be so kind as to look over the results and see if you think they look good? My TSH is very low so I am not sure what to suggest. NOt sure how these labs really are. Gosh I wish/Hope it is my thyroid....giggle sigh....

LAB RESULTS of 6/11/2020:

TSH: 0.03 mlU/L (so nice and low, their weird range .4-4.5)

Free T3: 2.8 pg/ml (they say 2.3-4.2)

Free T4 (EIA) 0.8mg/dl (they say .8-1.8)

Cholesterol: 171 mg/dl (<200)
    HDL: 68 mg/dl. (Greater than OR =50)
    Triglycerides: 53 mg/dl (<150)
    LDL Calculation 89

LDL-C Calculation (Martin-Hopkins formula):
    Cholesterol/HDL: 2.5 (best <5)
    Non-HDL: 103. (best <130)

So good news, bad news. The struggle is real!
    Any tips are appreciated. I don't want to creep up. I am thinking now of doing weekly steak days and tracking everything I eat in "my fitness pal". The time has come to go hard before 2-3 pounds becomes way more. If you have any advice, please let me know.

Have a lovely weekend!

Fondly,
    RK
    [/url]

R/P/M
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, just being in range is not what you want. You can be in range and still be hypo. You want to be optimal. That means a T3free above 3 at the least (3.4 is about right), and your T4free needs to be higher as well. You are still hypo, so that probably is contributing to the constipation. So ramp up the mag and C until you get normalized again and stay on it. TSH will be very low when you are taking NDT, no concern there. But some doctors freak out about it and won't increase your NDT if your TSH is near zero. But that is actually normal when taking NDT.

You don't say what dose NP Thyroid you are on, but you might need an increase. The unknown is your reverse T3. If that is high, that means you are not able to convert your T4 to T3, so no matter how much you increase dose, you are not going to get relief. If reverse T3 is high, then you need to add liothyronine (Cytomel) for a while to bring it down.

That is about the extent of my understanding of your labs. Grammy is much more up on this stuff than me. Maybe she will see this and offer some wisdom for you.

R/P/M
    R6P3 Homeopathic Pellets
    Thanks! Grammy if you are around can you look at these labs?

Last time they checked reverse T3, a year ago it was 9. ( so low as the range is 8-25).
    Last year my TSH, was elevated at 1.49 (now .03)
    Free T3 a year ago: 2.5, now 2.8
    Free T4 Was .7 and Now is .8
    So except for TSH ( not a good marker) the labs are Very similar ( almost exactly) what they were a year ago.

I take 90 mg Np thyroid, except on Saturday I take 1 1/2 (120 mg). My doctor writes my prescription for 1 1/2 tablets daily to give me room to adjust my dose based on symptoms. She says lab tests can only take you so far, symptoms are more important. So I can easily increase my dose.

Do you think I should ask to do a reverse T3? If so, is there anything else worth doing?Or should I just increase my dose by 1/2 tablet one more day a week? My ferritin is good, and my regular routine labs all look good.

Thank you for your reply and For even thinking about this.

Thank you.
    Warmly,
    RK
    [/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast